Chainsaw question

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by Steve9, Nov 20, 2003.

1. Steve9

Steve9 LawnSite Member
    from Texas

Never owned one and more than likely wont use it much. My father wants me to trim a few trees for him so i figured Id pick one up. Should i just buy an electric pole saw for trimming his red tips? Maybe 4 inch branches? Are electric saws worth a darn?

Second, If u steer me to a gas the echos start @ $199. I have other echo equpment so it would be nice because of the 50:1 mix. However the other brands are 40:1 and $100 bucks cheaper for something I may use 1/2 dozen times. What would happen if i put my 50:1 mix that I have for my echo equipment in a 40:1 chainsaw? Foul it up? Trying to avoid another gas can with another mix!:rolleyes:

2. coalburner

coalburner LawnSite Member

Rent one!

3. Charlie Sierra

Charlie Sierra LawnSite Member

That is the ideal solution for the job at hand. However, given the compact size, low cost and tremendous productive capacity of the gasoline powered chainsaw, you really out to get one. You will end up using it far, far more than you may imagine even if you never do any tree work.

I have used my chainsaw to quickly dispatch large, problem taxus and honeysuckle. It is great when you go to mow a client and find they have a large limb or small tree down in the yard from a windy storm a day or two before; you score an extra hour or two of work and the clients are happy as clams at high tide to be rid of it. You can whip up a load of firewood in a snap if you have clients you want to get with at least once or twice over the winter.

The chaisaw is exceptional advertising. I have never, ever turned one on and not had at least one neighboor come out looking to have this removed or that old brush pile that is to tangled to pull cut up and carted off. Once you do that then you can sell them mowing, mulch or whatever...you know the drill!

Since we are not talking timber or big tree work, you need not a heavy, expensive saw. For general landscape clean up and maintenance work, I reccomend a saw in the 9-11 pound, 2-3 horsepower range. If you do a brush pile or big honesuckle job, any heavier a saw and you will run into big time operator fatigue. I would go with the shorter bar choice on any of these models as they get more torque onto the work piece and you do not need a long bar for general chores.

My Stihl MS250C runs on 50:1 and so do some others so do not worry about that.

For a qaulity tool in the size and performance range I specified, expect to pay $250.00 to $300.00 out the door including an extra chain, jug of bar oil and sundry other neccessary bits o' kit.

4. impactlandscaping

impactlandscaping LawnSite Silver Member

I agree, renting is the cost efficient way if you are not going to use it for production. If you do buy one, don't worry about the mix ratio. Use a quality synthetic oil such as No Smoke 2 stroke, or Shindaiwa One.Just mix it and use it in any 2 cycle application w/o worrying about 20:1 32:1 or whatever.

5. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

If ya ain't gonna use it much, go to home despot,buy a poulan wild thing for a buck thirty nine, get the job done and you will then have a saw for odd jobs that you can make a couple of bucks on. I wouldn't be able to justify 200-300 for a saw that won't get used.JMO.

6. Steve9

Steve9 LawnSite Member
    from Texas

That was my thought DVM. Why rent when for $50 more i can buy?
    Well of course i took nobody's advice and bought a $99 electric Remington pole saw. I know everybody in here is all about horsepower but i have to tell you, I am completely impressed with this little thing! I cut down a truckload of limps with it and some that were about 7 inches in diameter. I t went through them pretty easily. Being able to reach 15ft up and cut out limbs with no ladder was awesome! I know to use quite often this might not do you any good but I would certainly recommend this little saw. I was so glad the decision I went with.
    I can just chunk it in the attic now and not have to worry about stale gas, carb gumming up, nothing. I give 5 stars for what it is.

7. thill

thill LawnSite Member

What Steve said!!!!

The $100 Remington is very impressive for lots and lots of limb work.

Tom