1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Chainsaw recommedations under $300?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by green-pa, May 4, 2008.

1. green-pa

green-pa LawnSite Senior Member

What are some recommended models of chainsaws that would be used say under 30 hours per year? I mainly do mowing and trimming, mulching and stuff like that but would like a quality saw for under $300 that will be low on vibration and yet powerful to make jobs quick. Also it must be durable and last at least a few years. I've been looking at Husky's. Poulon looks to be made very cheap. What do u guys say?

DIXIECONTRACTING LawnSite Senior Member
    from NY

I bought a Stihl 021 when I started my business 17 years ago and still use it to this Day has good power and a 16" bar.
  3. green-pa

green-pa LawnSite Senior Member

Wow! THat is hella long time for an item to last like that! Are there any Stihl that are under or around $300?
  4. mtnzone

mtnzone LawnSite Member

yes there are look around.. I got my 270 new on closeout for 289.00 extremely nice....
  5. lawnpro724

lawnpro724 LawnSite Silver Member

Jonsered and Husqvarna have served us very well over the years. Check out www.alamia.com for a good deal on Husqvarna chain saws.
  6. Paulup

Paulup LawnSite Senior Member

I've owned Husky and Stihl, both are darn good saws. If its going to be used only a few times a year, either will do well. If you buy a Poulan and only fire it up every couple of months, its going to stop starting for you. Trust me, i've had 5 of them since hurricane Katrina, and i still fire up my 34" Stihl to cut even a small limb because I don't want to fight with the Poulans.
  7. integrityman

integrityman LawnSite Bronze Member

Go w/ the Stihl. I purchased a 021 about 11 years ago... use A LOT no probs. Still runnng strong. Purchased on sale for about 199$ plus tax....
  8. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Yup, this model is being sold as the 210 today.
    I have an 021 and a 210 :laugh:

Both still run thou I bought the 210 after dropping the 021 in a creek, it didn't run right for some time and I figured it was shot but I kept it and believe it or not after it sat in a corner for years I cranked it up one day and vrooom...

Great saws, the 021 / 210
  9. progressivelawncare

progressivelawncare LawnSite Member

i use a husky 142 for smaller stuff and have a old sthil 028 as well i like husky better.
  10. TandM

TandM LawnSite Senior Member
    from south

Husky and stihl are great saws.