Chainsaw Smoking

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by mklawnman, Aug 7, 2003.

1. mklawnman

mklawnman LawnSite Senior Member

Just bought a Echo chainsaw and was using it today and as the day went on it seemed to not cut the wood as well as it did earlier in the day. And was even burning the wood and smoking as it tried to cut through. I tighten the chain up as well but I think its low on oil, though when I looked at the chain it had some oil on it. SO do i have a dull chain already? Or does it need more oil. I was cutting some shrubs out with it and yeah it did hit the ground a few times but not like the whole time.
    This was a showroom model chainsaw so I dont know if that makes a differance.
    Matt

2. JeffY

JeffY LawnSite Senior Member

I'd increase the oil rate on the chainsaw. Sounds like it's not getting enough oil on it.

3. General Grounds

General Grounds LawnSite Senior Member

:blob3: also sounds like you may have dulled the chain, keep those chain away from dirt, dirt will dull a chain in no time

4. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

I do believe you hit a rock or stone.sharpen the chain or put a new one on and I'll bet it works just fine.(just went through 5 chains myself on a similar job.)

5. tyuslawncare

tyuslawncare LawnSite Member

It definitely sounds like you have a dull chain. If you have a small amount of oil left after you run through a tank of gas you're oiling about right. You need to touch up your chain after each tank of fuel.

6. pinnacle

pinnacle LawnSite Senior Member

When testing the chain for tightness you should be able to pinch the chain between your thumb and forefinger and pull it away from the chain-bar with about 1/8'' free play but the chain should snap back to the bar when you let it go.

To test if the chain and bar are getting sufficient oil, hold the saw above the ground with the tip of the bar facing to wards the ground.Run it right trough the rev range and you should be able to notice little bits of bar oil splattering up against the ground. No splats of oil, increase the lube output

I know alot of loppers and if your going to be cutting in undesirables conditions (Butting stumps off at ground level,cutting rotten wood, Cutting wood thats icy dirty etc) you should look at a tungsten carbide tip chain. These will hold their edge for soooo much longer than a normal chain. They are pretty expensive though.

7. jchil1qw

jchil1qw LawnSite Member

How do you increase the lube output. I have an Stihl 036 pro that seems to run hot. The chain bar gets really hot and eventually the motor has a hard time restarting. Any ideas?

8. lawncare4u

lawncare4u LawnSite Senior Member
    from S>C>

When a chain comes in contact with dirt....it will dull it quicker than you think! :)

9. barnard

barnard LawnSite Senior Member

Chain + dirt = dull chain.

10. bill w

bill w LawnSite Member
    from Va.

There's a recessed screw on the bottom of the saw for adjusting oil flow to the bar.