chainsaw vs hedger

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by isabeljunie, Dec 16, 2004.

1. isabeljunie

isabeljunie LawnSite Member

I'm a new homeowner. My dad raised me pretty well to know how to take care of a home, so I'm not actually asking what the difference between a chainsaw and hedger is, I'm wondering if you can use a chainsaw as a hedger? My husband insist that we don't need a chainsaw, but if I could find a peice of equipment that could do the job of two peices, then I'll be much happier.

Thanks

2. out4now

out4now LawnSite Bronze Member
    from AZ

No. thin brush will clog a saw up. Designed for two different applications. Chainsaws are very dangerous as well. If you don't need one but once a year, rent one.

3. Paul Corsetti

Paul Corsetti LawnSite Member

same answer as above 2 different jobs 2 different tools

4. TURF DOCTOR

TURF DOCTOR LawnSite Silver Member

2 different pieces, a chainsaw and a hedge clipper is very dangerous hire it out my 2 cents.

5. VanceTrendov

VanceTrendov LawnSite Member

Stihl made a couple years back made a ms 260 with a interchangeable head. One for hedge trimming and one for the chain saw blade. I will say this, that the weight of that unit would be really weird for for hedge trimming do to the chain saw body. I would buy two seperate units, or hire out.

6. B&B Lndscpng & Lwn Srvc

B&B Lndscpng & Lwn Srvc LawnSite Member

Being in the business i would say hire it out since you will only trim hedges once or twice a year. The cost of the GOOD equipement will not be worth it in the long run. If you want to do it yourself get a good 2 cycle hedge trimmer. I like the Shindaiwa 22DH home pro. It is fairly light and is double sided (has blades on both sides). Echo, stihl, redmax and several others make good homeowner trimmers as well. NEVER use a chainsaw to try to trim hedges with.

7. HOOLIE

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

With a chainsaw, really, you have to worry about it kicking back, potential for personal injury is greatly increased versus a hedge trimmer. Most of the time a hedge trimmer works best, you might need a pair of loppers for thick branches or a small handsaw. Like mentioned earlier, why spend the money for a chainsaw that you will use very occasionally, just hire a good lawn service, nothing wrong with that.

8. out4now

out4now LawnSite Bronze Member
    from AZ

9. PLM-1

PLM-1 LawnSite Bronze Member