1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Chainsaw won't cut no matter how much I sharpen the chain

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by 2stroked, Sep 18, 2011.

1. 2stroked

2stroked LawnSite Senior Member

I sharpened the chain correctly on my husqvarna chainsaw, but it still won't cut right? Does any one know what the problem would be?

THEGOLDPRO LawnSite Fanatic

Do you know how to sharpen the chain? How old is the chain, how much use is on that chain? I would go buy a new one and see if it works better, your current chain might be past its prime and wore out.
  3. punt66

punt66 LawnSite Fanatic

If you have sharpened many times and not ground down the rackers then it that is what seems to be happening.

THEGOLDPRO LawnSite Fanatic

Thats correct you need to make sure the rackers are lower then the actual blade part of the chain. if the rackers are higher then the blade it wont cut.
  5. dutch1

dutch1 LawnSite Silver Member
    from Jayhawk

If you are using a machine to sharpen you chain, there is a square edged grinding wheel that can be used to grind the rakers/bumper uniformly. If you're doing this by hand, there is a gauge available that sits on the top of the teeth, allowing the raker to protrude through, which will indicate amount to be removed.

If it isn't evident why this must be done, look at the picture in the preceding post. You will note that the tooth slants downward away from the cutting edge and as you sharpen the tooth, its height is reduced as well. When it gets to the point that the raker is equal or greater than the tooth height, the tooth will not cut.
  6. JDiepstra

JDiepstra LawnSite Bronze Member

Chain on backwards? Bar lube?
  7. 4 seasons lawn&land

4 seasons lawn&land LawnSite Gold Member
    from NY

you have bar oil in it? If yes, is it coming out?
  8. 2stroked

2stroked LawnSite Senior Member

Ok, here is the full story, It is a chain that has only been sharpened once before. I was cutting a log and dug down into the ground. I saw some sparks and immediately stopped. When I tried to cut another log all it did was cut in a inch the start to smoke. I've sharpened each cutter 20 times each because after repeatedly sharpening them 5 times each it was still dull.

I haven't thought about filing down the rakers because the chain is so new. I filed each chain and a 30 degree angle also. The chain has oil on it when I sharpen it, so I'm pretty sure it's getting oil. I'll file the rakers and see what happens from there.
  9. JDiepstra

JDiepstra LawnSite Bronze Member

Good grief man, put oil in it. I have to fill the oil every time i refuel. It makes a huge difference.
  10. Patriot Services

Patriot Services LawnSite Fanatic

Just buy a new chain. Next time have a shop sharpen it for you.
    Posted via Mobile Device