1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Chainsaw won't start...

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by Robert Doubrava, Apr 10, 2003.

1. Robert Doubrava

Robert Doubrava LawnSite Senior Member

I'm working on an OLD chainsaw, motor was made in the 1950's; you can tell it's old! It's pretty good in size, has a 24" bar now. I had it running awhile back, now it won't start. It has spark. I cleaned up the points/condenser and checked with a spark tester, works great. The carb might be the problem, but I don't know. It will pop and sputter and try to crank over, but it doesn't stay running. Any help???????????

2. Randy J

Randy J LawnSite Bronze Member

I had a similar problem with an old Homelite. It turned out to be the fuel line. It was old, rotten, and was letting in a bunch of air. If that's not it, you might try the fuel sock down in the gas tank. I finally gave up on mine and bought a modified Husky 372. Man will that saw cut! Best move I ever made.

3. Robert
    I think those old 2 strokes had a reed type carb on them. Ive loaned out my old saw book from the early 70s so I cant even get you any pics right now. Best bet is to try the guys at arbor site.
    If that doesn't work let me know make/model and I'll track down my book to get you more info
  4. Check the crank case for leaks . if it has some run a bead of gasket black on the surface . wait an hour and let it rip. remember 2 strokes need sealed crank cases to draw fuel.