1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Chainsaw won't start

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by Pecker, Jan 6, 2004.

1. Pecker

Pecker LawnSite Bronze Member

This is regarding a Poulan 2000 2.0c.i. 16" chainsaw (I know. . .its a homeowner saw but I don't do a lot of chainsawing).
    History: Like new. It has always been maintained properly and has run great. Usually starts on the 6th pull cold, 1st hot. About 30 minutes worth of cut time ago, during which it ran flawlessly, I tuned it up (new spark plug, clean the air filter, sharpened the chain, topped off the fuel and oil reservuor, cleaned it).

Today I started it up, it ran great for about 4 minutes and then died. Knowing I didn't have much fuel in it, I went ahead and topped it off. Started for a few seconds, died. I went through this about 5 more times and then it wouldn't start at all. My arm was about to fall off so I gave up.

Here's what I've done so far: cleaned out the gas tank and put new fresh gas with some carb cleaner in it; put in another brand new spark plug; took apart the muffler to clean it but there was absolutely no carbon build up; inspected the fuel filter (the one inside the gas tank) and it looks brand new. None of this has made any difference and it still will not start even for a few seconds.

My guess: I think it is narrowed down to the carberator. I don't think it is getting gas. So here's what I did. I put about a Tablespoon of gas directly into the top of the carberator (through the hole the choke covers) and it will start for about 3 seconds and then die. Also, during these few seconds it idles very high. It will run a few more seconds if I give it about half throttle.

There are three screws on the carberator: idle screw, low speed screw, high speed screw.

Could dirt have gotten through the fuel filter even though it is in great shape? Is there a hole in the line? Should I try to adjust it or take it apart and clean it? Thanks in advance. Any help will be appreciated.

P.S. The On/Off switch was in the "On" position.
  2. mower_medic

mower_medic LawnSite Member

It does sound as if you have a carb problem. You said you don't use it very much, how long had it sat since the last time you used it? It could be gum and varnish buildup inside of the carb. I would recommend removing the carb and cleaning it. check the diaphrams and make sure they haven't gotten stiff or brittle. Good luck.
  3. Pecker

Ok, thank you. My father bought the saw in 1992, used for an ice storm, drained the gas and ran it dry, it sat in its case the garage for about 8 years. Every time we use it, we drain it and run it dry, as with all our engines we use only occassionally.

I will, as you said, remove the carb and give it a cleaning. Kinda apprehensive about doing so because I never have before, but am dying (. . .well, not DYING) do learn. Do I need to take the set screws out and clean them their holes too? Not sure if I'll ever get it adjusted right again if I do?
  4. Pecker

Update: Removed the carb and the fuel line disintegrated. Tommorrow I will replace all of the line and see if that does the trick.
  5. xcopterdoc

xcopterdoc LawnSite Senior Member

If you do decide to remove the adjustment screws.. count the turns and put em back in the same amount of turns. outta get ya pretty close. Thanks for the updated post.... helps to know what someone did to fix a problem. Then when its our turn , we know what to look for! learn something new everyday!
  6. pjslawncare/landscap

pjslawncare/landscap LawnSite Bronze Member

Bet the fuel line was caulprit. Make sure if you do remove jet screws you carfully count turns in to gently seat before removing to get basic adjustment starting point (very important). Let us know if fuel line was problem. It it was cracked and introducing air and loosing suction, it will cause mentioned problem. What type cleaner did you mix with fuel? stabalizer I hope
  7. Pecker

FIXED!!! It was the fuel line. Cost me $1.85 and about 10 minutes to reroute it and put the carb back on. Fired right up! Anyhow, just wanted to let you guys know and thank you for yer help.
  8. pjslawncare/landscap

pjslawncare/landscap LawnSite Bronze Member

Rito guy! now, I got some trees to cut down if you want to test it out real gooood. :laugh: :laugh: