Chainsaw Work

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by WJW Lawn, Oct 18, 2006.

1. WJW Lawn

WJW Lawn LawnSite Bronze Member

How much Chainsaw work do you guys/gals pick up?? Does it add much profit to your business?

2. meets1

meets1 LawnSite Gold Member

Depends on your buisness. What do you currently do? Can wood fit into your biz model and how do you charge.

I do some but the big stuff is left up the tree crews with ropes and 60ft boom trucks. I do some small work - pays fine for us. Alot of time we clean out the stumps for larger crews cuz it seems as if they just don't want to do it. So we then haul in dirt, seed and charge more money. I have a splitter as well - rent it out, maybe go to someones home and split the wood for them, charge money, we sell wood for the winter etc. Just depends on equipment you have at your disposal.

3. WJW Lawn

WJW Lawn LawnSite Bronze Member

Well I was more thinking along the lines of clearing natural areas...heavy brush and such. Im not trained nor insured to cut down large trees--so I wont be fooling with that. Low limbing...downed tree removal...small trees... and heavy brush is more what Im looking at.

4. meets1

I do some of that. I'm in a pretty rural area and now and then land comes for sale and someone buys the enitre 240 acres including the acreage they demo the enitre area for more land. So that means the grove comes donw as well. We'll go in and knock all the trees down - we keep all the ash & oak wood. Rest gets pushed in by local excatavor guys.

The small stuff we do cuz here again to get a crew do remove a 10 - 30 ft tree (out in the open) is hard to get. We'll do that. Money is money my friend!!

5. thesargent

thesargent LawnSite Senior Member

i do brush clearing if needed, and i will do an occassional tree job, i worked for a tree service for 6 years climbing trees, and falling timber.

6. meets1

Looks like you have the experience - branch out - earn some more money and maybe think about getting a Husky or Jonsreed saw!!

7. thesargent

thesargent LawnSite Senior Member

the tree company i used to work for bought johnsered saws one season, they were total crap, they didnt last at all, im easy on equipment and these saws basically fell apart, they wouldnt stay running, they were just junk. get a stihl or huskey if you must.

8. Cantona

Cantona LawnSite Member

To each is their own, we have bought all brands of saws and I still stay with my 15 year old Johnsered. Over our husky's and stihl...Brush clearing and small tree clearing is good money.

9. huh

huh LawnSite Senior Member
    from Lubbock

i think that is the important part :)

I think that brand was made MUCH better in the past :)

10. Cantona

Cantona LawnSite Member

valid point and could be true