1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by BotetourtBoy3, Jul 23, 2007.

1. BotetourtBoy3

BotetourtBoy3 LawnSite Member

I was thinking of buying a Poulan Pro 46cc 20 inch bar cahinsaw. What do yall think of it for meduim usage. Does anyone own one if so is it a good price of equipment?
  2. Kid With A Mower

Kid With A Mower LawnSite Member

If you're going to be using it a lot. I would recommend getting a more professional grade chainsaw. My dad worked for an arborist for a few years, they used Stihls. An I own a Stihl MS-310, and I love it. So I would highly recommend them.
  3. wright-or-wrong

wright-or-wrong LawnSite Member

Stihl, you won't regret it. Buy a little more saw than you think that you need. That way you should be prepared for whatever.
  4. Armadillolawncare

Armadillolawncare LawnSite Senior Member

I also have the Stihl 310 and use it often.

RICHIE K LawnSite Senior Member

We have a poulaon for 3 years now use 4 times a season and runs great.
  6. swingset

swingset LawnSite Member

Understand, I'm not a tool snob but a chainsaw is one area where I think you owe it to yourself to get a good one....for many reasons.

Poulan is the bottom of the barrel, for chainsaws.

Stihl is obviously very good, so are Husquavarna, Cub Commercial (rebadged EFCO), Jonsered, Shindaiwa, etc.

Better power-to-weight (read: less work), easier to work on, etc

I run Stihl MS210 and a 350, btw. Great saws.
  7. Eakern & Dog

Eakern & Dog LawnSite Senior Member

If you can't invest in a Stihl, I would at least spend the extra $75 or so and get an Echo CS-440. I've got one with an 18" bar and it works great....just make sure you change to a better chain once it dulls.
  8. mini14

mini14 LawnSite Member

stay away from homeowner crap and get a stihl or husky. if u want cheaper go with echo, the type of chain makes the saw come alive, i only use full chisel, been cutten wood for 21 years and have been through many saws.will only buy husky and stihl, quality doesnt cost u $$ it makes u $$.
  9. Frosty03

Frosty03 LawnSite Member

I will second the Echo CS-440. It has never failed me and I have been using it for 5 years. I sharpened my original chain 3x and got another one after that. Plenty of power in a midweight chainsaw. I took the kickback thing off of the tip of the bar and no problems.
  10. John Stiles

John Stiles LawnSite Member

I finally threw all my chainsaws away, went down to ATTWOOD'S and gave $49.00 for a re-conditioned electric CS that was virtually brand new....I cleared about 1 acre of thicket[including trees] with it, and it is a super machine! Starts up easy too!:) And guess what...no ear plugs needed, no high priced smelly gasoline....less caos too...you will never regret it...just get the biggest one they have!:usflag: ~john