Chainsaw ?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Southern Lawns, May 9, 2002.

1. Southern Lawns

Southern Lawns LawnSite Senior Member

With the amount of chainsaw work this past month makes me wonder how you sharpen your blades. We have about a half dozen for each saw and have been sending them out to get sharpened. $3. to $5. per blade. They do a good job but we still have to bring them in. I guess my question is: What do most of you do? Sharpen your own? What do you find to work best? Hand file? Diamond drill blade Etc.......... Thanks
    Raymond

2. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

after some learning time ive learned to use the 12 volt sharpener that is available at lowes.at first it as the pits tho.u can also take the depth gauges dn yourself . jus tlay a ruler accross the
    top of the chain . there should be about .25 difference between the cutter and the gauge.,
    this way u get a good peel . this is one thing that has to be right ,tho so might be a good idea ,to take the saw in every third time.last time i took mine in i had to help the fella get my chain back on. hence im trying to do it my self.:)

3. keifer

keifer LawnSite Senior Member

With that many blades I would get an electric one for around 150/200 bucks. It would save money in the long run plus drive time.

4. I have a guy sharpen mine-real close so he is convenient to use.
    seems like they run $4-6
    I have 15 blades for my 16" and try to keep at least 5 sharpened on hand.
    I have 5 for my 20" and keep 2 sharpened on hand.
    I also have a couple hand files on hand in case I get in a bind, but havent used them in years.

5. gaunlet13

gaunlet13 LawnSite Member

This info is based on my experience. Kink of like your nose, everyone has one.

Some shops that have electric equipment cut the teeth to quickley. By that I mean that the metal gets too hot. If you look at the cutting part of the tooth and it's blue along the edge it's been too hot. It won't hold an edge like it should. It's ruined. When you bought the chain it wasn't blue.

I've used several brands but most of my time has been spent on the handle of a Stihl 026. Excellent saw.

When I first started using a chain saw I always had a shop sharpen the chain. Most chains came back with blue teeth. This pissed me off so I started thinking. Well I'm spending ~15 minutes
    removing a chain, installing a chain and re-tensioning the replacement and on top of that it costs me ~$6 a shot. Then I have to take the chain(s) to a shop and go pick them up. More time wasted.

I sharpen my own. I don't use a file guide unless I suspect that the depth gauge needs filing. Yes you do have to learn the technique. It ain't rocket science. Anyone with average mechanical skills can do it.

This is the best article I know of on chain saw sharpening and caring for a chain.
    http://www.oregonchain.com/faq.htm

6. jaybird24

jaybird24 LawnSite Senior Member
    from midwest

I think gauntlet is talking about sharpening the blades right on the saw , with a hand file-- works great. Almost any high speed sharpener will blue and harden the blade- with practice you can sharpen with a file in no time and do it often so it stays fairly sharp anyways. theres not much point in spending 3 minutes changing and adjusting chains when you can sharpen one in 2 minutes- plus you dont need 10 sharp chains on hand.

7. Darryl G

Darryl G LawnSite Fanatic

I agree with Gauntlet about shop sharpened chains. I file my own with use of a roller file guide. It helps get the angles perfect. I sharpen often, every three tanks of gas or so. I toss my files out when they start getting dull. They're cheap and it makes a huge difference in sharpening time. A lot of shops don't check the depth rakers which can make a huge difference in the cut. I use a gauge to see when they need to be filed.

I run a Husky 55 Rancher and it kicks tail!

8. strickdad

strickdad LawnSite Senior Member

we do they same as you, we carry 6 chains and 2 bars for every saw we have, on the truck.. when i go to a job im there to work the job, not work on equipment...(very counter productive)

9. Southern Lawns

Southern Lawns LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks all for the great info. So far no blades returned with heat stress. At least from what I can see! Very clean job. I'm going to look into a hand file and refer to the article posted above and give it a try.
    Raymond