Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by lawncare4u, Jan 30, 2005.

1. lawncare4u

lawncare4u LawnSite Senior Member
    from S>C>

I am considering a new saw around 50cc-up or down 5 cc Which is better Stihl or Husky.........most power :waving:
  2. cgotro2

cgotro2 LawnSite Member

The 455,rancher replaces the most popular husky saw sold the 55 rancher. It meets the 2005 EPA emissions laws. There are several saws by husky in this range. The XP saws are the pro models. 346xp is an very good saw for guy who needs a hard working saw, have used this saw. Check them out.
  3. lwcmattlifter

lwcmattlifter LawnSite Senior Member
    from NC

My experience with Husky saws is their hard to start and temperamental until warmed up, but people will say the same thing about the Stihl too. I have a Stihl MS310 and a MS361. Both are really nice saws and they have always started very quickly for me, even after sitting for several months. The MS361 and 310 are both 59.0 cc engines, the 361 feels like it has a little more power than the 310 but it's barely noticeable. The 361 is the smallest pro model that Stihl makes. The 310 is in the midrange of saws. Both would be good choices. BTW you did not tell us what you were going to be cutting.
  4. lawncare4u

lawncare4u LawnSite Senior Member
    from S>C>

I will be doing mostly general cleanup..shrubs,small trees etc. :waving:
  5. YardPro

YardPro LawnSite Gold Member

either will be an excellent choice. i think it's all a matter of opinion as to which is better
  6. aries

aries LawnSite Senior Member
    from nj

I have had a lot of luck with sthl farm boss it's an animal wouldn't change it for anything else.
  7. richard coffman

richard coffman LawnSite Senior Member

I've got a husavarna 394xp chain saw with a 33" 404 bar with skip tooth chain. it sure means business with it's 8 horsepower engine. it'll cut through trees like a hot knife through butter. it's made for commercial use and well worth my investment. i can go all the way up to a 48" bar with this saw, doubt I'll ever need anything bigger. I'm looking into getting another chainsaw for small limb work.

salt lake city, Utah :D :D :D
  8. Oldtimer

Oldtimer LawnSite Bronze Member

Two of the bette peforming saws are the Stihl MS260 with a 16" bar and the Shindaiwa 488 with an 18" bar. Since Hurricane Ivan hit Pensacola last September we have sold over 900 saws and those 2 saws made were our best sellers.

Always purchase a saw from someone who will be there to provide service when you need it.

Be sure to get a carrying case to protect the saw.

9. J.Gordon

J.Gordon LawnSite Senior Member

Oldtimer has listed two very good saws! There are two more out there that are also very good. Husqvarna makes one that is called a 346 XP. And RedMax has a 5000. If you want the saw power ported I would probably go with RedMax 5000 and the Husky 346 as a close second. From what I read the 488 is about as reliable as they come.
  10. Green King

Green King LawnSite Senior Member

There are several good saws out there! The redmax 5000 is a strong performer! I also would look hard at a Dolmar 540 or a Jonsered 2150! Dolmar and Redmax are in this area the saws on the move!