Chainsaws

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by Joel B., Aug 22, 2005.

1. Joel B.

Joel B. LawnSite Senior Member
    from MN

Looking for a chainsaw for mostly homeowner use with occasional commercial use. Interested in Echo CS-346 and CS-440, any opinions on either?

Thanks,

Joel B.

2. HoffmanLawnCare

HoffmanLawnCare LawnSite Member

i used to have pos homelite from home depot and then went out and bought a 22 inch stihl. it works great, wouldn't use anything else.

3. Lawn Masters

Lawn Masters LawnSite Senior Member

Of those two, I'd buy the CS440, its a great saw for that purpose, and will make you quite happy for a reasonable price.

4. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

Consider other brands aside from Echo. Stihl makes a great saw as does Husquvarna.

5. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Yeah I bought an 021 Stihl (I think it's today's 210 model) which is a smaller 16-inch saw and I use it maybe 6-8 times a year in a commercial way but not in a mayor way (I might cut a tree or two down but it's all smaller stuff).

Whatever you end up buying I found out the thing to watch out for is the POWER of the saw, you want to make sure when you have it at WOT cutting IF the chain catches and stops dead in its tracks that you can hold it in place without much further ado... From reading the warnings about kickback you might think there is nothing you can do about it when it happens but the simple fact is you need to be AS strong or stronger than the saw (stronger is recommended in my book) and then kickback is no real issue so long you're paying attention.

6. Itsgottobegreen

Itsgottobegreen LawnSite Silver Member

One name to know when it comes to chains saws. STIHL I will have some soon. MT200, MS260pro and MS460 about $2000 worth of saws. :cry:

7. PLM-1

PLM-1 LawnSite Bronze Member

Give a Shindy 488 a try. Smooth and reliable.

8. Lawn Masters

Lawn Masters LawnSite Senior Member

This is simply NOT true, no matter how strong you are, the potential for kickback doesnt decrease.

When cutting, the kickback situation will probably take you by surprise, and you'll either be saved by the chainbrake, or you'll get hurt/killed by the saw.
    Avoiding kickback is easy, never use the nose of the bar to cut with, unless doing a plunge cut, and when carrying the saw, activate the chainbrake, which should ALWAYS be in good repair. by simply folllowing this set of rules, you can avoid death and injury. BTW, a chainsaw has enough power to cut STEEL toe boots too, and amputate a toe while there.

Good protection from injury is a MUST. chainsaw chaps, a helmet with earmuffs and face shield, and leather gloves are all important for your safety.
    When I do tell people this sort of thing I CANNOT stress the safety gear enough. its very important.

9. bill w

bill w LawnSite Member
    from Va.

The operator should never place him/herself in a position where he/she has to depend on the chain brake to save him/herself from a kickback situation, literally or figuratively.

10. all ferris

all ferris LawnSite Bronze Member

As far as kickback is concerned, it can and does happen (I've seen it many times as well as had it happen to me). ALWAYS be aware of your body position in relation to the saw so that kickback is less likely to do harm. I do logging in the off season for a guy I know and I have run saws for many days, sun up to sun down(mostly bucking and topping). The vibration can really start to get to you after running a saw for awhile. We have found the Husqvarna saws to be the least fatiguing and they seem to run faster than other saws. Keep in mind that I'm talking about large saws (570,575,385,395 husqvarna saws)