Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by ztrguy, Jan 18, 2007.

1. ztrguy

ztrguy LawnSite Senior Member
    from NE FL

How dangerous are chainsaws? Does it depend on how big the log you are cutting? I would think the smaller 6" diameter wouldn't be that dangerous to cut or is it just as bad? Never done much cutting and I figure there are plenty of experts out there that use chainsaws more often. I cut little limbs very seldom, but nothing ever very big. Any thoughts?
  2. Potchkins

Potchkins LawnSite Senior Member

look for a Chain Saw Safety video
  3. PSDF350

PSDF350 LawnSite Member

Extremly dangerous. If you dont know anything about them take a game of logging course.
  4. ztrguy

from NE FL

Is there one that's more dangerous than the other? For example is a more powerful chainsaw more likely to kick back on you? or vice versa?
  5. saw man

saw man LawnSite Bronze Member
    from utah

Depends more on the chain and what part of the bar/chain goes into the wood first.
  6. PSDF350

PSDF350 LawnSite Member

Always remember the top front of tip is the kickback zone.
  7. PowersTree

PowersTree LawnSite Member

Stay away from Tophandle saws!! These are designed for arborists and just because they are smaller doesnt mean they are safer. Get a video!! Any time the saw is running your life could be in danger!! Go to Arboristsite and check out the accident and fatality forum.
  8. newz7151

newz7151 LawnSite Silver Member
    from Tejas

A chainsaw is only as dangerous as the person running it is stupid or uninformed on it's proper operation.
  9. lawnpro724

lawnpro724 LawnSite Silver Member

If your not sure how to use chainsaw safely, have a friend or someone you know who uses one on regular basis show you the basics. A chainsaw is one tool you don't want to mess around with so if your not sure how to use it leave it alone.
  10. ztrguy

from NE FL

Sounds like I need to let me workers go through training before we start doing any chainsaw work. Thanks guys for giving me a heads up on this. I thought if we were careful it would be ok, but obviously there's more to it then that. We will look into the proper training for this before we do any work. I want my workers to be safe, that's my main concern. It's not worth the money if we can't be safe doing it.

What about power pole saws? I found a few that will cut up to 8" diameter. We won't be cutting anything over 6" in diameter. The pole is pretty short when not extended...looks like it would work. We are mainly just cutting up the longer limbs that have fell on the ground in order to fit them in our trailer. Would this be safer and easier to do? From what I can tell they need lots of help. I don't plan on cutting a lot, but just a little bit in order to fit it in a trailer.