Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by hockeyman20, Jun 14, 2009.

1. hockeyman20

hockeyman20 LawnSite Member

I am looking to buy a new chainsaw. Does anyone have recomendations on saws. Thanks.
  2. Cuttinitclose

Cuttinitclose LawnSite Bronze Member

Stihl MS 290 Farm Boss is their #1 selling saw. I recommend anything Stihl.
  3. chub

chub LawnSite Member

Small saw 346xp 16" bar, middle saw 372xp 20"bar, large saw 395xp whatever size bar.
  4. Nosmo

Nosmo LawnSite Bronze Member

I am a Stihl chainsaw owner and not sorry for buying the 2 saws I own.

MS 250C Largest of the homeowners/occasional use saw. Uses up to an 18" bar. I use 16" on mine. Around $300.00 retail.

MS 260 Pro The beginning of the Professional Series saws. Uses up to a 20" bar. I use 18" on mine.
    Around $520.00 retail.

Both of those saws weigh less than 11 lbs. not counting the bar, fuel and chain oil.

The MS 290 is a bigger saw - classified as a medium use saw and weighs 13.0 lbs not counting the bar, fuel and chain oil.

If you consider a Stihl here is a link that shows the entire line, features and cost of each saw.

5. FYS777

FYS777 LawnSite Silver Member

before recommendation, for what purpose will you be using it for? light duty, heavy , medium use?? what is your budget for a saw
  6. mississippiturf

mississippiturf LawnSite Senior Member

Ditto what he said. Next would be to learn how to sharpen the chain after it dulls. Nothing sweeter than a good saw with a sharp chain.
  7. FYS777

sthil just a name and a price tag, depends what your application is and how much yuo use it, I have a craftsman saw with 20" blade, had for 20 years still runs great and used it today, dosen't miss a beat, and haven't had to do any work on it, and i've cut a lot of wood with it.
  8. dtelawn

dtelawn LawnSite Member
    from Alabama

Your old craftsman is a far away distant cousin of the new craftsman products. They used to make good stuff. There is a reason Stihl is the best selling chainsaw .

I have run the MS 270 and loved it and recently bought the Pro 260. It costs a little more but it is an animal. I bought a Farm Boss and took it back before running an entire tank of fuel through it. VERY VERY VERY heavy and the 260 will perform much smoother.
  9. mdlwn1

mdlwn1 LawnSite Silver Member

I have used both. Husky's and sthil.

Sthil is obv a great saw. Seems to be a higher rpm saw. Starting is relativly easy compared to old chain saws.

The husky seems to be lighter (or feels that way) and will start on the second pull after sitting for 2 days or 2 months. The husky feels stronger at low and mid range rpms where as the sthil needs to wind up a bit.

Dont really know why, but the tree guys around here seem to use only husky and we have every brand available.
  10. FYS777

I agree, still need to know what the app. is, don't need to buy a sthil or husky with the price tag if you only use it 30 minutes a week??? I like husky better though, I've run both in the logging industry, husky has been more dependable and less brake downs and repair.