chainsaws

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by AielLandscaping, Sep 29, 2002.

1. AielLandscaping

AielLandscaping LawnSite Senior Member

looking into getting a new chainsaw since the one that i have is a crapsman that won't start. i only use a chainsaw a handful of times a year, but would like to get a new one. i'm sure that the more expensive ones would end up being a better buy, but since i don't use it a lot i think i could get away with a light duty commercial grade machine. i don't know squat about chainsaws, so does anyone have any recommendations for me?

2. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

I love my Stihl 026. This thing has plenty of power and has never given me a single problem. I think we bought it around 1992 and its been bullet proof.

3. sthil is a good saw and since you wont be useing it heavy you probably could get by with a sthil homeowner or mid range product.

I dont use a chainsaw much now. But when i lived in michigan, i cut 12 cords of wood a year for 8 straigt winters with a sthil saw and that saw is still working.

4. Green Pastures

Green Pastures LawnSite Silver Member

I have a Stihl "Farm Boss" 029 something like that. I use it like 3-4 times a year, but every time I need it it starts and runs like a champ. I got a Stihl cuz when I need a chainsaw I need one, and I did not want to mess around. Time = money. I'd get a mid-line Stihl if I were you.

Scott

5. Flyrod

Flyrod LawnSite Member

Lately ther have been a lot of NIB Echo CS-4400 saws for sale on ebay. They have been selling for $185-225, dealers get $300+ for them. They're well made, pro quality and should last many years. I would stay away from the homeowner saws. You should also look at Husqvarna 55, the new John Deere 56cc(made by Efco) and the Makita(made by Dolmar) 54cc saw all pro saws and all sell for about $300.

6. lee b

lee b LawnSite Fanatic

I have a Husky 51, it's been a great saw. I used to be in the sawmill business back in the early 90s, you know a portable woodmizer, go to where the trees where. That Husky is the only chainsaw I've ever owned, it has alot of hours on it {wish I knew how many}, I used it, my customers used and abused it. Still runs strong.

7. rwleigh

rwleigh Banned

Take a close look at the new efco 952 SWEET! Also jonsered is a good one!

8. GRASS PRO

GRASS PRO LawnSite Member

I agree on the efco and jonsered, also take a good look at redmax,very nice chainsaw.

9. GLS

GLS LawnSite Bronze Member

Has anyone noticed that Sears now sells Husqvarna?

10. firefighter

firefighter LawnSite Member

I bought to new husqvarna chain saws in the late 70, early 80's, and never had any problems with either one. Not even the spark plug. I traded both in about three years ago on to new husqvarna's. So far no problem with either saw. They both have compression release and ram air.:angel: