Chalk Up One For The Good Guys!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by MMLawn, Jul 8, 2006.

1. MMLawn

MMLawn LawnSite Gold Member

Well, dude and dudettes mark up another victory for the "good guys"......us privately owned LCO's vs. the Huge Corp LCO's

We started a huge commercial property yesterday. It is a 5 year deal, full lawn and landscape maintenance. The property is huge, in a primo location and is owned by a very large publicly traded (NYSE) corporation. I don't want to name it really just yet, but a couple other LCO's here locally that I know and talk with regularly know what it is and that I got it. It is such a great visible property with such name recognition that I promise you every LCO in the area would salivate at the chance to get it. That is not intended as boast any way at all, only to show the type property it is. I was contacted by their property manager on May 1st and told that they were very unhappy with the quality of work they were receiving from their current LCO and said that "anybody can cut grass, but we are looking for more than that" and would I email them a bid and photos of our commercial work on larger high volume commercial sites. Of course I did. I had to then fly to Chicago to negotiate the final contact with their corp attys (I would have looked up my buddy Bill-6'7 330 and let him buy me a steak, but it was only a day trip, so he lucked out). Of course my main concern was the details of them dumping the current LCO...the why, so we didn't have the same problem. They told me who the LCO was and why they were ending their relationship. After seeing before and after pics they had of what they had ask of the company (time and time again, and documented) and what they were getting, I could clearly see why they were not happy. Not, horrible work, but certainly not great work either....kinda just going threw the motions kinda work which I think is typical for the bigger companies, but the company was paying for great work and not asking for anything that wasn't in the scope of the contract. Anyway we negotiated a contract that was very fair to us both. One of the things that they suggested and I really liked was that we are allowed to have professional signs made (at our expense of course) and posted at each of the sites main entrances that have our company logo and phone number and that we maintain the grounds. I think that is always a great form of advertisement for any company.

Now, the company that was doing this acct is one of the largest LCO's in the country and has offices nearly nationwide and employees thousands of people. Now this is and will continue to be a labor intensive job, not a PITA at all, only intense and that is find cause I knew that going into it. I know that a lot of the guys on here don't have the manpower and resources that I have been blessed to have, to bid and take on such an acct, but it sure does make you feel good not only as a business owner but also a fellow privately owned LCO working everyday to beat out a living going up against the "big boys" and winning!

2. ProStreetCamaro

ProStreetCamaro LawnSite Platinum Member

Brickman was the other LCO that got dumped right?

YaY I win a prize!

3. CutInEdge Lawn Care

CutInEdge Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

Congratulations Mike!!

4. GPDesign1

GPDesign1 LawnSite Senior Member

Congrats Mike!

I'm starting to understand how David slew Goliath... Goliath was probably tied up in a do-nothin' meeting when he shoulda been taking care of bidness...

Smack! Upside of the ol beener! :hammerhead:

Good job!

gp

5. MMLawn

Brickman is tiny, compared to this company.

6. MMLawn

Right on Gary! And exactly what I told them in our meeting. With the current company they got a NAME Brand and a Supervisor with a District Manager probably based out of Atlanta.....with my company they got ME and for me it wasn't just "business" it is my entire livelyhood! I think they liked that.

7. mulcahy mowing

mulcahy mowing LawnSite Senior Member
    from ma

Good for you! Glad to hear that, you deserve it your guys do nice work.:usflag:

8. Splicer

Splicer LawnSite Senior Member

Wanna share your pics you impressed them with???

Congratulations!!! One day maybe...one day...

9. mowerman90

mowerman90 LawnSite Bronze Member

Way to go, congrats :clapping:

10. Up North

Up North LawnSite Bronze Member
    from MN

Yep, I bet they did. Congrats Mike and show us some results once you get settled in there and get things looking good. Way to go man.

Buck