Challenge To Better Outdoor Products

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by integrityman, Jul 25, 2008.

1. integrityman

integrityman LawnSite Bronze Member

I recent call for service assistance to BOP yielded absolutely positive and satisfactory results. KUDOS TO PHONE TECH MIKE? FYIif anyone is ever concerned about purchasing a BOP mower due to maintanence concerns- dont be. The folks at BOP are terrific....

During my conversation we discusssed the new dually hydro mowers that have been designed by BOP.

My challenge to BOP was and is this: Design and build a 48" dual hydro. Lets take it a step further and be truly cutting edge. Design and build a 48" WB mower w/ a diesel engine or a direct inject gasoline small engine.

The phone tech advised that BOP has, in fact, seriously looked at the implementation of/ integration of a diesel engine into the line up. The problem is that apparently there are very few vertical shaft small engine diesel manufactures out there. BOP apparently looked at an engine manufacturer in Italy; however, the lack of field support for these engines would prohibit the implementation of this engine.

I am a simple, but yet a creative man. I gotta think that there is a solution to this problem..... There has to be. Has BOP considered a parternship with the likes of Kubota, Yanmar, etc?

O.K. Gary- there ya go. Its off my chest now. The first challenge is to get moving on a 48" dual W/B unit.

Secondly, integrate a small diesel into the picture.

Any one else out there like to see a BOP 48" unit??? Outfittted w/ a diesel engine?????

2. TomberLawn

TomberLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

Man, I'd like to see anything with a diesel engine, a 21" mower, 36" mower, a lightweight trimmer if it could be done. I'm getting interested in small lawn, high-efficiency mowing. A diesel 36" would be awesome, or even an EFI that got a little better fuel efficiency than a carb gas.

3. DA Quality Lawn & YS

DA Quality Lawn & YS LawnSite Fanatic

48" unit would be a good addition of size.
    But a diesel...don't know.....
    Price of diesel far outpaces gas these days. And I really have to think that their current 16HP Kaw would be more than enough for that 48" deck. If not, add a horse or two.

4. GPDesign1

GPDesign1 LawnSite Senior Member

Integrity:

Mike told you exactly right; we'd LOVE to do a diesel, but there's simply nothing out there to install. I guess Yanmar came as close as anyone with their verticle-shaft V-Twin, but even it never got traction in the market. VERY expensive, complicated, spotty service support, etc. We just wouldn't put our Owners in the position of having something for which they can't easily get support. But to your larger point, I couldn't agree more; the engine companies are asleep at the switch when it comes to diesel. :hammerhead:

Now... regarding your other comment. We hear ya, loud and clear! (how's that for telegraphing your punches!!!) :laugh::laugh::laugh:

gp

5. larryinalabama

larryinalabama LawnSite Fanatic

Id like to see a kit to make the decks user freindly, dont care about single cyl deisels

6. brucec32

brucec32 LawnSite Platinum Member

I agree. What's with the diesel fetish? These are small mowers and don't use a ton of fuel anyway. Why add complexity and cost to a mower whose beauty is in simplicity and cost-efficiency?

The decks are currently unusable (semi-fixed deck, no real mulching kit) on Atlanta's Bermuda and Zoysia. It's unfortunate, since these lawns are often on new small lot homes on uneven lots where the bigger machines out there don't leave a great cut and 21" wb's are too slow.

7. Valk

Valk LawnSite Silver Member

While I side discharge WAY more than I mulch, I've found my Q32 to do a great job on Bermuda and Zoysia here...though I now cut everything at the 4" max these days - and never shorter than 2.5" in the Spring.

I came to this site seeking info for a commercial mower...namely Toro and/or Wright. While both are outstanding mowers, they are heavy...real heavy. A coupla months of research this last Winter and I know I bought the best mower for me and my business - BOP's Quickie 32. A BEAST of a machine and less than 340 lbs dry - which is nearly half the weight of the above - Toro 36 hydro-667lbs & Wright 36 Stander-620 lbs (then add me = 835lbs)!

Changing the deck height front AND back takes me less than 4 min using a cordless impact wrench for the backs...and am willing to bet I could do both in less than 2 min. There sure is a lot of needless bad press for the perceived difficulty of adjusting the deck height...though I keep all my lawns tall until the leaves fall.

How much more would a diesel engine weigh than a KAW or B&S?

8. Brianslawn

Brianslawn LawnSite Silver Member

id like to see them go faster. for having quick in their name, they sure are the slowest wb out there.

9. grassman177

grassman177 LawnSite Fanatic

that is pretty funny, Slow 44 turtle mowers. ahah

10. JimmyStew

JimmyStew LawnSite Senior Member

Why a 48"?? They currently offer a 44" deck which is pretty close, and probably as big as you would want to go with their single hydro units. As I understand things, the new dual hydro units are essentially the same frame so adding a 48" to the lineup would probably add complexity and complexity equals higher cost.

As far as a diesel engine goes...whats the big deal. On a walk-behind, it doesn't seem like it would make much sense. Heavier?, more expensive, more complex to fix, and probably harder to find service for them. I can see a diesel on a ztr but a walk-behind?