Challenging Install

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by GreenMonster, Sep 8, 2004.

1. GreenMonster

GreenMonster LawnSite Silver Member
    from NH

I would have to say this was probably my most challenging install yet.

Waterfront cottage needed stairs, a wall, and a walk. A new septic system was recently installed which we had to work around. Also a very wet property (all clay), and working on a slope.

50 ton of stone went in, which mostly all moved with a wheelbarrow. used a Gator for some spots. Most of the wall stone and pavers for the stair were brought down by hand. :cry:

oh yeah, customer installed sod before the hardscape to help with erosion. This site was sooooo wet, most of the sod in the area where we were working had rotted.

I'll post a few b4, during, and after shots.

19.jpg

2. GreenMonster

from NH

I'm not sure how the new attachment feature works, so bear with me.

15.jpg

3. GreenMonster

from NH

obtw, I only did the hardscaping. Mulch, plantings, everything else by customer.

so don't bust me on the lumpy mulch! :p

2nd day in, customer says to my helper "Don't tell Mark I said this, but I can't believe he took this job."

I can't either.

This shot is from above, approaching the house. The wooden "bridge" in the prior picture is because there are three septic chambers that have to be left accessable (sp?).

14.jpg

4. GreenMonster

from NH

This is a shot of the same stairs as previous pic, from below.

22.jpg

5. gvandora

gvandora LawnSite Member

Two thumbs up!

6. drsogr

drsogr LawnSite Bronze Member

Looks great Green, I bet it makes it a lot easier to get to the pier. I would have almost would have rather seen treated wood go in there instead. But with all the moisture that you were talking about, I think that stone will work out great!

7. GreenMonster

from NH

sorry about the pic quality. Taken during the after effects of Hurricane Franny.

Here are some of the stair going to the lake. These sucked 2 build. Cuz it was so wet, we decided to put drainage under both sides of the stairs. We installed around 350' drain pipe. Customer did another 150' or so on their own. It seems to be helping. Let's hope so 2-5" rain expected next 36 hours.

20.jpg

8. GreenMonster

from NH

hpf

new acronym for "high pucker factor"

it always feels worse than it looks. It was worse when the machine was a little lower.

39.jpg

9. GreenMonster

from NH

oops. wrong pic.

that's just everyone else working and me watching :)

36.jpg

10. GreenMonster

from NH

he he. That was their original thought which I talked them out of. I have a similar property and did stairs/wall with p/t timbers. I regret that decision frequently. twist, warp, crack, splinter.