Chamber of Commerce

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by DynaMow, Aug 28, 2006.

1. DynaMow

DynaMow LawnSite Senior Member

Who is or has been a member of their local Chamber of Commerce? What are the pros/cons?

Reason I ask is I am looking at city paper and they have a list of members and there are more LCOs in my neighborhood then members of the C.O.C.

Whats are your thoughts?

2. LindblomRJ

LindblomRJ LawnSite Silver Member

Was a member when I had my pet store. Now I am not a member, I am thinking next year I will sign up. The Chamber in my town seems to be joke, they have irriated a lot of business owners. I think it is good for a business' to belong to civic groups. The CoC might be a way to network with other members. Does membership offer any advantages to you as a business owner?

3. Fordsuvparts

Fordsuvparts LawnSite Senior Member

My company joined a few years ago and have had several jobs come from being at the meetings and meeting all the other business owners. We have even had a few customer call and tell us that they got our number from someone at the chamber office. I would join up and make some new friends in other types of business and maybe find some new work because of it.

4. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

Check with your insurence co. they often give discounts to members and it more than covers the cost. :)

5. DynaMow

Nice, thank you sir. Mac are you a member in your area?

Fordsuvparts - your post is exactly why I am thinking it would be a good thing.

6. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

yep, It allows you to be around others business owners and the city. The city gets free labor or some materials for holidays or to spruce up a park and I get the free advertisement of having my name in the paper as the company donating some work. After a couple of yrs it starts to pay off in more work in the "hood"

7. bln

bln LawnSite Senior Member

I am a member of the new chamber formed here and I now have the opportunity to place bids on 1.2 million dollars worth of work. This wouldn't have been possible if i wasn't a member. Just join and if you get one business contact then your efforts paid for them self.

8. DynaMow

See thats one of the things I am after, because my goal is to do all my services in my city of Stow and never leave city limits.

9. ACutAbovesiny

ACutAbovesiny LawnSite Senior Member

I am a member and its been great. They have alot of information and is a great place to promote your business.

Thank you Staten Island Chamber of Commerce!!