1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Chamber of Commerce

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by Knight, Jan 23, 2007.

1. Knight

Knight LawnSite Member

How many of you LCO belong to your local Chamber of Commerce? I was thinking about joining up to help promote my Lawn Service activity in the Community. I have been doing this part time for several years and after my primary job announced in December, it is moving to Mexico, I figure I had better go big or go home. My plant will be closing in 18 months. What is your opinion?

Knight's Lawn Service
  2. mattfromNY

mattfromNY LawnSite Bronze Member

I think its a great idea! A great way to mingle with other professionals in the community and collect leads. The chamber will usually put your company name in their mailings, and recommend you for projects as well! I say go for it!! And thanks for the idea.
  3. grandview (2006)

grandview (2006) LawnSite Gold Member

4. Knight

Knight LawnSite Member

Has it helped you out? I figure it at least would give a little leverage when it comes to getting promoted. Around our area, City will not allow door hangers for soliciting residential, but we can work on businesses. Thanks for your response.
  5. LawnNeedz

LawnNeedz LawnSite Senior Member

I am a member of the chamber as well. The chamber here has quarterly get togethers for small business owners so you can get your name out. They also put your contact info in a book that everyone that moves here from out of town gets.
  6. Az Gardener

Az Gardener LawnSite Gold Member

Well we have a few members but still have no definitive answer.

Do you generate leads from your association with the chamber? I also think it is important to know how active you are in the chamber.

Did you just pay the fees and never go to a meeting, or do you go to meetings and work the room?

I am pushing this because I have also thought about joining when I need to expand my business.
  7. BSDeality

BSDeality LawnSite Silver Member

i'm a member of mine. i've only sold one job that I know of as a result of my membership there alone. I have taken part in sidewalk-vendor things sponsored by the CoC. Those were very well received and generated a fair amount of work. The best thing is to find a business to business networking group in your area. They can be absolutely instrumental in your success if you do quality work. The other members are typically the "higher ups" of the community and they have big mouths at the dinners and meetings they go to. I'm actually president of our networking group right now. I have generated tens of thousands dollars from my group in the past few years. We meet once a week 7a-8:30a on Weds. Membership is $15/mo to cover donuts, coffee, fruit and muffins.
  8. cleancutccl

cleancutccl LawnSite Senior Member

I've been in a networking group, the only thing I got out of it was penny pinching mowing customers, and I was in it for 2 years. Big waste of time, you need to really look into the group before you join, some are better than others. My coc has all the bigger landscape companies in it, so I really doubt I would get a lot of leads, and it is expensive. They charge here an initial cost and then so much per employee.
  9. garydale

garydale LawnSite Senior Member

I join our local CoC three years ago. Responded to free membership when you purchase an ad in local phone book put out by CoC.

Three hundred plus members with only 30 going to monthly meeting.

Only sold one account, however the CoC website forwards alot of contacts.

I attend the meetings and basically observe. You have to be a "people person" and like to talk (I am not!) to make it pay.

You will learn alot, meet your contemparies and it ties you to the community as far as your customers know.
  10. Knight

Knight LawnSite Member

Thanks for the input, I have looked at the CoC business local listing and we currently have no LCO on the list. That is why I thought I might give it a try. The cost is less than one month newspaper add!