1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Chamber of Commerce

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by echeandia, May 31, 2007.

1. echeandia

echeandia LawnSite Bronze Member

I am thinking of joining the local chamber of commerce for the purpose of meeting people who might be able to help me get my name out there. Have any of you had any success with your local chamber? I would like to hear about your experience.
  2. ArizPestWeed

ArizPestWeed LawnSite Bronze Member

I just made my anal payment of $75 .
    I don't go to the meetings , but it is a good place to get your name out .

Better yet , you can send a one page advertisement each month to all members , that will get ya some business
  3. Focal Point Landscapes

Focal Point Landscapes LawnSite Senior Member

For it to be really beneficial , imo you have to attend some functions , serve on some committees , etc . That is the way to get to know the indviduals that can throw work your way or reccommend you to others .
  4. bohiaa

bohiaa LawnSite Fanatic

I only got 1 PITA customer.. from the Chamber
    I droped him after 1 visit......
  5. dallas05

dallas05 LawnSite Member

i don't know about other towns but in mine. the meetings are an excuse to get hammered once a month. my wife and i went to a few but don;t drink kina felt out of place. we don;t go much anymore
  6. garydale

garydale LawnSite Senior Member

Its worth joining for the contacts and name recognition etc. However, like most groups you will find its dominated by a few members that try to take over.

I join three years ago and participated in every function before I could see the time was better spent on my business.
  7. echeandia

echeandia LawnSite Bronze Member

Well, I have decided to join my local chamber. It costs $200 for the year which is less than one month of advertising in the local paper. I don't expect anything from it for this season but it should generate sales next season.

They have a breakfast social once a month that I plan on attending. It is setup like speed dating but you meet 10 people at a time before moving on to the next table. Throughout the breakfast you meet with about 40 people. Each person gets my business card and I get theirs. This is exactly what I am looking for.
  8. bohiaa

bohiaa LawnSite Fanatic

its good to advertise that your a member also,

Most people " my experance" dont know what the Chamber does, they think your all that, if your a member

I have it on my Business cards. Member #