1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Chamber of Commerce

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by bruces, Jan 7, 2003.

1. bruces

bruces LawnSite Senior Member

I am considering joining the Chamber of Commerce in two communities that I work in. The cost would be $260 each.

I would receive listings in their directories, free classified ads in the newsletters for 6 months, and a few other benefits.

There are approximately 900 members in each Chamber.

I am thinking this would be a good source of leads for commercial accounts and provide some ongoing exposure.

Any experience or thoughts on this?
  2. Lanelle

Lanelle LawnSite Bronze Member

You may need to go to some events and rub shoulders with other members. Become a familiar face.
  3. GarPA

GarPA LawnSite Silver Member
    from PA

Good question Bruces...I too would like to hear from others who have joined and whether they found it beneficial...been thinking about it but my marketing budget is getting s t r e t c h e d right now
  4. devildog

devildog LawnSite Senior Member
    from sc

Yes, its worthwhile. start buy joining one. I've been a member for a long time, presently serving on the board. You will only get out of it what your willing to put into it. And you will meet the right people. Get involved with a board sub-committee at a minimum, if they have biz after hours, go to them all. Great way to be seen and meet others. Simply the best marketing $s we spend. With regards... devildog
  5. wriken

wriken LawnSite Silver Member

My sis-in-law belongs and she said that would be a wise move for me, get to know people, also I'd have to confirm with her but I think she said at one time they offer a discount on blue cross/blue shield if you need it. I was looking at their booklet they put out in my town and it had a write up on the community, and it would suggest all the members in it, like have your septic system done by -----, have your septic tank pumped by-------, and so forth. The good thing is they didn't have any one to be refered to have their lawn service done by, thats where I come in,why I'm going to join then they can mention my name.
  6. bubble boy

bubble boy LawnSite Bronze Member

so true. i just can't get into the shmooze mood for these type of meetings. went to a few similar type "lunches" in first couple years of biz. just wasn't my thing.

if you can work a room, might be a golden opportunity.
  7. Barry D

Barry D LawnSite Member
    from Georgia

I agree, "You will only get out of it what your willing to put into it". This is true in most community meetings. The Chamber can be a rich resource for potential accounts. You will have to attend the meetings and greet other members. This is how they will remember you name when it is time to select a lawncare service.

There are other groups that you may find just as resoursefull. The Rotary Club is a group of business leaders that meet once a month. Some may belong to both organizations. This can be a rich resource as well.

Good Luck!!!!!!
  8. tiffany

tiffany LawnSite Member

We belong to our local chamber and it does give us great exposure. The important thing for this kind of marketing is that you have to really commit to it. If you have the time to be ACTIVELY involved, and the personality right for schmoozing, chambers are a great idea. If you don't have either of these though, don't do it. It will not benefit you just to have your name on a list in the chamber booklet.
  9. philk17088

philk17088 LawnSite Fanatic

I joined our CoC right off the bat. It got me into a tight group of business people and I have received a few commercial accounts and also do work at the homes of the "decision makers". Another plus, after going to a few functions, I found an insurance agent who wound up saving me 30% on my liability insurance and I found an accountant who really knew my type of business. It is very much worth the cost of the dues! remember... "people buy from people, not companies."
  10. Acute Cut

Acute Cut LawnSite Senior Member

i went last year to a breakfast to check it out. it was a networking breakfast. it was 500 ppl waiting only for thier turn to talk. I think just about everyone was glazed till they spoke. I also made one other big mistake. I went in in my business cloths. Nice pants and a blue workshirt. I walked into 500 suits. Atleast i can say i stuck out. lol.
    i may retry if yall think it is so worth it i guess.