Chance Stonewall harmed tree?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by CRUZMISL, May 15, 2007.

1. CRUZMISL

CRUZMISL LawnSite Member
    from zone 6

Hi All,
    I spread Stonewall 3 weeks ago and one of the trees on the property, a Dawn Redwood, has lots of dead leaves now. Other trees on the property include a Japanese Maple, Linden, Pear, Maple and a Blue Atlas cedar are all fine. Is this just coincidence or could the Stonewall have harmed the redwood?

Thanks,
    Joe

2. CRUZMISL

CRUZMISL LawnSite Member
    from zone 6

anyone have any thoughts??

3. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

Is Stonewall a herbicide?

4. tremor

tremor LawnSite Bronze Member

I doubt it unless there was a major spill & all of the turf is also dead.

Original Barricade 4FL is labeled for use on containerized, field grown & landscape ornamentals including conifers in Christmas Tree farms.

http://www.cdms.net/LDat/ld5JC002.pdf

Are you saying that this Dawn Redwood didn't have leaves & now it does? If so, deciduous confiers do this normally.

5. CRUZMISL

CRUZMISL LawnSite Member
    from zone 6

Yes stonewall is an herbicide.

The tree had started to leaf out but then the leaves on some of the branches on the top half of the tree turned brown. Could have been some cold weather that hit it but seems strange. I didn't think it would do it either but wanted to check. I have applied Dimension before to this property with no ill effects so it must be coincidence.

6. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

If injury only occured in top half of tree--that would suggest an injury or fungus canker just below the brown area. Insect borers perhaps. If you need help call Bartlett Tree Service.