Change a quote, or tell the customer i can't do it?? help

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by DillonsLawnCare, Oct 18, 2008.

?

How should i go about resolving this issue???

Poll closed Oct 23, 2011.
  1. Suck it up, take a hit, and do the job..

43 vote(s)
    63.2%
  2. Tell the man i cannot do the job..

2 vote(s)
    2.9%
  3. charge more for the job..

23 vote(s)
    33.8%
  1. DillonsLawnCare

DillonsLawnCare LawnSite Bronze Member

hey guys!! a couple of questions.....

i quoted a mulching job that is just strictly mulching, no weed pulling..etc...

i quoted the job about 3 months ago, and the guy took the quote of $240.00 to mulch an area. well, 3 months ago i was a little ignorant to the fact of quoting mulching jobs, landscapes...etc....

so my question to you is:

Should i do the job and take the hit?

Should i tell the guy that i can't do it for that amount of $$??

or, Should i tell him that I'm going to have to raise the price..?

Thanks, in advance.:waving:

2. 1cooltreeguy

1cooltreeguy LawnSite Senior Member

Cost of business has gone up and there has to be an adjustment to the price as the quote is 3 months old...REDO the quote!!

3. DillonsLawnCare

ok, but what do i tell the guy???

Thanks

4. davis45

davis45 LawnSite Senior Member

Did you give him a computer printed quote? All of mine state that the quote is only valid for so long after the given date.

5. LushGreenLawn

LushGreenLawn LawnSite Silver Member

Its pretty standard in any industry that quotes are good for 30 days. How far off is your quote? How much mulch ae we talking about here?

6. DillonsLawnCare

i gave him a quote on a slip of paper, and put it in his mailbox.

I will probably have to get around 10- 14 scoops of brown mulch. i can get brown mulch for $8.50 a scoop. 2 scoops= 1 yard at the mulch place i get it. since i inherited the 1977 5x10 single axle trailer, i can only put 2 scoops on at a time, before i start to notice the tires going flat. I also have a helper who gets paid $10.00 an hour, and the job will probably take 2-4 hours.

Mulch delivery- $30.00

so... 14 scoops x $8.50= $119.00

Quote: $240
    ----------------
    Mulch- $120
    Delivery- $30
    Employee- $45
    BS- $15
    -----------------
    Net profit of $30.00 for me. my helper makes more money than me at this quote!!
    I dont know what i was thinking at the time, but what should i do??

Thanks..

7. chesterlawn

chesterlawn LawnSite Senior Member

I don't know what kind of prices you get in your area, but I would just tell him that you made a mistake and under bid the job Tell him it should be x amount, but you will meet him half way. Be honest with him.

8. AJ Lawnscapes

AJ Lawnscapes LawnSite Senior Member

Did you sign a contract, and when?
    When did he agree to the price? Just recently?

Sorry, but a quote from 3 months ago is no longer valid sir, Your price is now X.

9. DillonsLawnCare

no contract was signed. he agreed to the price back in late july. he said, " ok, the quote you gave me sounds reasonable, but i want to wait until most of the leaves fall, before you put the mulch down."

I would tell him that the quote is no longer valid, but i agreed to him to wait until the leaves have fallen.

so..i kinda screwed myself.

10. Green Team Landscaping

Green Team Landscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

Hey, thank you for starting this thread by the way. The problem with adults is they dont always respect the kids. They look at you as some little kid doing it so he can go to the movies with his friends, but really, you've got lots of equipment to be paid for and other things since you're the one running the business. I think you should let him know that you made a mistake and take treeguy's advice. Tell him the cost of business has gone up since, and you will need to requote or not work. That should earn you respect from him. Or a big kick in the pants and he'll hire someone else. How much higher are you talking going?