change estimate ?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by wrm, Apr 14, 2007.

1. wrm

wrm LawnSite Member

My partner and I just had our proposal for a 11 building Apt. complex accepted. We got it for 325 a week, mow, blow and trim. The grass
    was pretty high, because they took so long to decide on a co. and
    there was a ton of debris - branches, garbage, contractors cords etc.
    It also was very wet in spots, but we had to do it Friday because of\bad weather coming. We both had 36 wb's and it took us exactly 10 hours
    just to cut, we're going back monday to trim. We are pretty demorilized
    right now that we under bid big time. I knew the head maintenace guy, got us in the door, he said most bids wwere around 375 - 400. We feel we can't do this for less than 650 per cut, but hate the idea of not standing by our bid.
    No contract has been signed yet, any opinions ?
    Thanks, CLEAN CUT LAWNCARE

2. unit28

unit28 LawnSite Bronze Member

I have 3 ways around this, but will wait for
    other replys.
    -----------------------------

The size of the machines are not the problem.
    So don't go buying something bigger to try and justify the time.

Maybe lease, but don't buy something just for one property.

Good Luck WRM

3. chris638

chris638 LawnSite Member

36" WB's sound small to me for a complex like that, but if that's the biggest it allows then so be it. I'm sure in the future it won't take as long to do it. As far as the debris and contractor cords, make them clean it up before you get out there or tell them it will be extra. If other company's are bidding at 375-400 per cut, you know they are probably making money. Personnaly, I also stand behind all of our bids whether they are wrong or not. You never know when you will get a rep for bidding a price and then wanting to charge more once you start.

4. wrm

wrm LawnSite Member

Assuming the truth is being told about the other bids, but even on a normal day, we think it will still be 8 hrs for 2 guys, plus another couple for trim.

5. OMG

OMG LawnSite Senior Member

Suck it up this year, but bid more next year....and be prepared to lose the contract.

6. xtrim

xtrim LawnSite Member

Its very unprofessional to change the bid on contracts. What would stop me from bidding $1 and then jack up the price to a dollar less than the next lowest bidder?

Next time do your research before you bid, we always survey & measure the properties before we bid or estimate. And we suck it up if we think we under-priced it, its our own fault and no-one-else's.

7. Woody82986

Woody82986 LawnSite Silver Member
    from DFW, TX

I have only underbid one job my entire 5 years in business that left a really bad mark in my head. That left such a bad taste in my mouth that I will now beat an estimate to death before I submit it, just because I do not want to underbid anything ever again. I am sure this will be one of those defining moments in your estimating lives.

8. Premo Services

Premo Services LawnSite Bronze Member

For sure you will need bigger mowers for that much mowing. I also do not think it is wise to go back and let them know you underbid the job and need more money. That would look so unprofessional. As for the debris, they should pay for the time to clean it up. I would seriously look into a bigger walkbehind with a sulky, it will cut more and take a lot of time off of your total time for the job..........................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................

9. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

Is it correct you have 20 man-hrs in this job so far and still have the trimming and blowing to do?

10. wrm

wrm LawnSite Member

yes, we still have about 3 hours of work left. but because the property was in such bad condition our first cut, that here on out we should be able to do it all in about 8 hours, with the two owners working it.