Change Filter with 1st Oil Change? Best Filters?

Discussion in 'Hustler Turf Equip (Archived)' started by JCR1709, Jul 25, 2005.

1. JCR1709

JCR1709 LawnSite Member

Ready for my first oil change on my Fastrak 20/52 Honda GXV620 at 5 hours as Hustler suggests. Should the filter be changed as well?

On the subject of oil filters, it seems that people are very opinionated about the best oil filters for Honda. It is said the Toyo Roki made in Japan is superior to all others. The unit came from the factory with a Toyo Roki 15400-ZJ1. I have cross referenced and found other filters to replace the OEM. I love my dealer, but do have a hard time swallowing a $20 charge for an oil filter when I have found others at $6-8. The worst part is that we don't know if the $20 filter is a genuine from the factory OEM Toyo Roki filter from Japan? These very high opinions about oil filters seem to mostly come from motorcycle owners on the internet seeking highest performance and protection. Does the filter brand really matter for a lawn mower engine?

Thanks,

James

2. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

You absolutely should change the filter also.
    As far as filter recomendations.... I would go with the OEM filter, that is just my preference though.

Pj

3. iluvscag

iluvscag LawnSite Senior Member

I need to get a Hustler I think. :rolleyes:

4. br1dge

br1dge LawnSite Member

JCR - if you havent already, you may want to check this link out -http://www.prostreetonline.com/pso/pages/techtips/showarticle.asp?articleid=2