Change from Toro to Exmark

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Ngog_Nrythrng, May 5, 2003.

1. Ngog_Nrythrng

Ngog_Nrythrng LawnSite Member

I have an '86 Toro w/T-bar steering (it was moth-balled for a decade). I can mow with it drunk or asleep. I want to get an Exmark 36" Tracer HP.

How easy is the 'pistol grip' control to learn? The T-bar is intuitive for me, and I really worry about the learning curve on the pistol grip stuff. How long did it take you to become 'one with the mower?' If you have used both, which do you like better? Which was the most natural for you?

:confused:

2. Green Pastures

Green Pastures LawnSite Silver Member

I really like the new ECS system from Exmark. I'd get a T-bar from Toro or the ECS from Exmark before even thinking about pistol grip.

3. mikeshere89

mikeshere89 LawnSite Member
    from iowa

ive used tbar from toro and liked it alot, i wasnt nearly as tired at the end of the day. yet now all i have is pistol grip, im used to them and untill i get a new exmark with the new grip im stuck with the pistol.

4. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

ECS EASY!!!

turf tracer 2 resized.jpg

5. AltaLawnCare

AltaLawnCare LawnSite Senior Member

I started out with a JD 345, then went to a Toro 52" T-Bar belt ...I ran the Toro for about a year then sold it and got the Lazer.

I just got a Metro HP ECS.

The biggest difference that the Toro is in "neutral" until you push the bar forward...while the Exmark is only in Neutral while the controls are squeezed. You have more levrage with the ECS, and controlling the mower is easier...just harder on your hands.

On hlls the Exmark is much better.

I like the Exmark better.;)

6. brucec32

brucec32 LawnSite Platinum Member

I never could get the hang of the pistol grips or ECS in limited tries after over a decade on T bar belt drives. I could steer it, but I had to concentrate too much. Like you said, I can use a belt drive T bar in my sleep. If they ever figure out a way to reverse a belt drive by just pulling back on the bar, they'll never want for money.

7. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

ECS is easy, I've tried both. Didn't like the T-Bar, I felt like it was too to touchy. ECS is easier to learn right off, but if your'e a veteran at T-Bar, I don't think most guys would change. Some dealer I talked to told me that most guys preferred pistol grips over ECS. Obviously I didin't buy a machine from those idiots. LOL.