Change in business flow for lawn season?

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by Scagman 48, Feb 9, 2013.

1. Scagman 48

Scagman 48 LawnSite Senior Member

Hey guys ive been doing alot of adverting by word of mouth to old customers and some potential new ones. Time after Time the people that have crazy cash are always first to say yes but lately ive noticed a change.... I was speaking with one of my first clients very nice people and never had any real problem with them. I was speaking to them about spring cleanups etc. and the lady said she doesnt know if she will be able to pay and to me this was a surprise because her husband is a stock broker and she is a lawyer. Im predicting that im going to be out a few accounts because of the economy. Im kinda worried/curious to see how this is going to turn out.

2. Smallaxe

Smallaxe LawnSite Fanatic

I have been working for wealthy people all of my career and have had the privelidge of hanging out on some lovely properties in excellent neighborhoods as a result... A number of changes in the economy are affecting everyone , but the biggest hit was in the Stock Market, perhaps half of their wealth dissolved is a good estimate...
    Debt is killing the market and personal savings... even lawyers and brokers are living beyond their means and if the system dies, so do they... nothing is dependable... I don't lowball, I just do less work and am focussing on my retirement nursery/farmette... :)

3. GARRETTWOOD

GARRETTWOOD LawnSite Senior Member

Its been like that here for the last couple years. Lots of people who had certain services done cut back or just quit having them done. Not sure what this season will bring. But working on a few things to try and boost the work load. Lots of your everyday needs just seem to cost more and more, and people need to have the essentials before they have extra for that tree or landscape job.
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. jsslawncare

jsslawncare LawnSite Bronze Member

Just hang in there, it all work out.

5. LandFakers

LandFakers LawnSite Fanatic
    from CT

I have noticed that with the customers that I did more than a bare bones service, they are starting to not want them done anymore. People that I used to do all the bells and whistles for, arent wanting them done anymore. I had alot of sprng and fall cleanups last year, but I only have about 50% of the amount of cleanups as last year, with close to 25% increase in customers

6. Will P.C.

Will P.C. LawnSite Senior Member

How do you know they have 'crazy cash' in the first place?