1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

change of goals

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by pines, Mar 11, 2004.

1. pines

pines LawnSite Member

Have any of of you initially started in this business with the intent of lawn care being your foundation and come to find out that there was enough other work at higher margins that you began to rethink the lawn business? This is my first year and I am finding quite a bit of garden design, mulching, retaining wall type of work. I am nervous of taking on a lawn because it commits me to a 24-26 week period where other work may or may not arrive at a higher margin. Any thoughts?
  2. pines

pines LawnSite Member

OK, has the desire to eliminate lawns and provide more landscaping projects entered anyone's mind?

MY PUPPY LawnSite Member
    from mass.

Why not do it all if you can its more $$$ in your pocket. I have
    found if you do quality work customers would rather have you
    do all the other landscaping projects than call someone else!
  4. pines

pines LawnSite Member

True, you make a very valid point. But what I struggling with is the commitment of the lawn service over a given period of time. Have you ever been in a position that you had to turn away higher margin non-lawn maintenace work due to the fact that your lawn maintenance schedule did not allow you to do so?
  5. Randy Scott

Randy Scott LawnSite Bronze Member

No! I hired employees at that point. If you do this solo, you can't always get what you want. I look at it as when I started I did just mowing the first season. My landscape work came from those faithful customers and I know they would feel a little left out if I quit mowing their property. Our company does it all. It keeps other companies off their lawns and keeps us in the door. I know many companies may scale back their mowing, we only mow 3 days a week and I really don't care if that grows or not. It does a little bit every year, I just don't sell mowing that hard. Too many people doing it for next to nothing. The clients we have are good paying, steady monthly revenues. Our mowing people help with landscaping the other days of the week. Gives them a little break from the humdrum bore of mowing.
  6. Acute Cut

Acute Cut LawnSite Senior Member

Landscaping is a surge busniess in my opinion. You either got it or dont. Big dollars or budgeting. I keep my lawn care side growing and i hire to fill that need. But i really am pushing the landscaping side more to make the big $$$! It will be nice when the snow is on the ground to be still recieving checks from the year around customers. Hire people is my opinion.