1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

change of pace

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by plow kid, Jul 1, 2001.

1. plow kid

plow kid Banned

[​IMG] I wish it was fall again, yess I will admit I am starting to get bored with cutting grass and mulch jobs.:(

This is the 100th tree I have taken down sence I started, 33" trunk at chest height and made me 4 cords of firewood:blob2:
  2. not bad, but you cut down all your trees with a little saw like that? go spend some money and buy yourself an 044. i got one of those with the 25" bar and love it. i was thinkin about a 28 inch bar, but for up in the tree its a bit too much. if you dont climb at all though, spend another couple hundred and buy an 066 magnum w/ 36" bar. another good saw. if you are into big timber then i would say from what i have heard to go into the huskies. they got some very powerful saws.
  3. plow kid

plow kid Banned

I have larger saws, but I won a bet($50) from a guy I know who said a little saw couldn't take down a large oak,theres your proof,.. we have a 066 with a 32" bar for the "large" stuff and a 031 with a 25" bar along with a 036 with a 20" and 24" and 28" bars.

ps. go and buy a 019t or 020t for up in the tree, I wouldn't want to swing a $500 saw around from my belt.
  4. how old are you? just curious. well, anyways. i used to own an 019, thing was a piece of garbage. so i now have an 020T that i climb with. i love it. however once the wood starts gettin up there i bring up my 044 with the 25" bar. that costs, that saw, just shy of $700.00 but i can do most logs with that, and if i need to i can always put a bigger bar on it, or if i am just plain old crazy i can bring up my 066, and that saw cost me about $900 - $1000

when i am up in the tree i want a good reliable saw, not some cheap saw that will run out of gas real fast and may not start.
  5. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

ill take my 028 and handle most any job. what stihl are you holding.
  6. plow kid

plow kid Banned

1. I am 18

2. The saw is a 017 with a 18" bar with 3/8" chisel chain.
  7. LoneStarLawn

LoneStarLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

Why do we have profiles for? Sorry I had to ask...and yes I am being sarcastic.
  8. thelawnguy

thelawnguy LawnSite Silver Member

Thats not a little saw, just looks that way next to the big boy holding it lol...
  9. plow, how long have you been climbing for now? and do you think you could do this one? there are only about 8 or 10 cables in it, a tree rod, and a drain pipe, some branches are cracked at the base, and there are about 6 leaders, each one is something like 2 feet. base of the tree is about 6 feet if not more.
  10. ok now this is a big saw, i am about 5'11" this is my big saw, i think i need to get a bigger one soon.