Change-order opinions

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by A1 Lawn@Landscapes, Jun 30, 2002.

1. A1 Lawn@Landscapes

A1 Lawn@Landscapes LawnSite Member

I have government mowing contract that outlines specificly in diagrams what is to be mowed. They have done a number of things to the property and a changeorder is in order. I have 2 questions for those in the know,

1) Do I have the ability to charge whatever I want? I am not gouging them, but because this extra work will be cutting into my more lucrative residential work I want to bill it at my residential rate of $60 per man hour. I bid this contract at $40 per man hour due to the fact that I dont have to chase them and it is guaranteed work even in a drought.

2) They had demanded that I preform work outside the contract with no additional compensation. They had threatened to backcharge me and create legal issues if I didnt. I have written memos from them that confirm this. Can I now bill them retroactively for what they demanded from me? No price was ever discussed and It was demanded from them that I do it and it was out of the scope of the contract.

Thanks in advance for any help

Kerry

2. A1 Lawn@Landscapes

h

3. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

somebody might be waitin on u to callum so u can discuss it over a cup o coffee. not too long ago a very well respected local election official was caught taking
    favors from the company that had the
    voter machine contract. sad thing ,he did to hisself.nuff said

4. Lanelle

Lanelle LawnSite Bronze Member

If the work was a 'one-time' performance request, it should have come to you in writing as a task order (may be called something else, depending on the agency). The authorization # and price should have been on it. If this is a modification of work that is on-going, then you have to modify the contract to reflect the change in scope. You should be talking to the contract officer that oversees your work. I hate to say this, but sometimes these people try to get one over on the contractors, so they stay on budget or maybe can brag about how much freebie work they got on their sites. Most of these people won't even accept a cup of coffee from you, much less something of real value for themselves.
    Bottom line, don't perform work that is not authorized in writing. And, yes you can be penalized (deduction from your contract payment) for not performing requested extra work, so get the details hammered out first.

5. A1 Lawn@Landscapes

[ And, yes you can be penalized (deduction from your contract payment) for not performing requested extra work, so get the details hammered out first.

As an example, one area to mow is 7.0 acres. It has enlarged to 8.7 acres with it all hilly rough mowing that I need to do with a trimmer. This is the area that they demand I do for free even though the contract states otherwise.The agency is the Army Corps of Engineers. I spoke with the head of contracting who is very cooperative and has stated that a wrong has occured here. She requested that I submit a request for an equitable adjustment which I did. The work was authorized in writing, actually demanded. I was told by the head of contracting that A legal contract needs to have consideration ( payment) for services. There was no consideration for the services. She wants me to try to hammer out an agreement with the project manager.

I guess I am looking for direction. I have been told that change orders is where $ is made on government contracts. I am just wondering if I have to negotiate with them or just demand what the job is worth.

6. Lanelle

Lanelle LawnSite Bronze Member

Look in your original contract for language about your rates. Some of our contracts dictate exactly what we can charge per hour---of course we can set how many hours it is going to take :) .
    You have to work within the system, but you should be able to make it profitable.

7. A1 Lawn@Landscapes

I looked at my contract and it states that they are to amend it when things change and I must agree to it. It also states that any work over 25k needs to be bid. anything uinder that is at their discretion. Going to talk to the big man tomorrow. Thanks for your help!

Kerry