1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Change wheel bolt to lugs Grasshopper

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by yellbird, Aug 23, 2013.

1. yellbird

yellbird LawnSite Member

Wondering if anyone has changed the wheel from using bolts to using lugs on the Grasshopper. As I am getting older it is a pain to try and line up the holes in the wheels with the holes on the hub. Having lugs would make it much easier changing tires

Thanks for any help
  2. fllee

fllee LawnSite Member

On my walkers I install 3500lb axle studs. Cheap and it only takes a 1/2" drill bit to hone the hole out first....
  3. yellbird

yellbird LawnSite Member

Thanks for the info, I'll take a look to see if would be easy.
  4. dutch1

dutch1 LawnSite Silver Member
    from Jayhawk

If alignment of the wheel to the hub is the problem, make up a couple of alignment studs by cutting off the heads of two similarly threaded bolts, most likely 1/2X20. Thread the two studs into nonadjacent hub holes as guides. Install the wheel over the guides and thread in lug bolts into the remaining lug holes. Remove the guide studs and replace with lug bolts--job done. :clapping:

Seems like a simpler approach unless you're truly interested in the extra work.
  5. yellbird

yellbird LawnSite Member

Terrific Idea, That's what I call thinking outside the box.

Really appreciate it.:walking:
  6. BigFish

BigFish LawnSite Gold Member

Actually, it's more like common sense!
  7. yellbird

yellbird LawnSite Member

I didn't think of it and I have common sense, I also didn't see you post it, give credit when credit is due.