Changed my first valve today

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by CAPT Stream Rotar, May 25, 2012.

1. CAPT Stream Rotar

CAPT Stream Rotar LawnSite Fanatic

In a complete muddy see nothing only feel ditch..

She was a 1'' WM burried about 16 inches down, on the down hill side of the zone..Didn't have time to drain out and bail...I went for it... On the second time I got it right...Completely shocked it worked..such a PITA and I was real wet.....

I hope I never have to deal with that again, and you can bet you will see a shop vac on my truck soon.....

2. Mike Leary

Mike Leary LawnSite Fanatic

What, a diaphragm?

3. Sprinkus

Sprinkus LawnSite Silver Member

Just make sure that you don't trap the solenoid wire under the bonnet. I had to fix that problem after a well respected/seasoned tech did exactly that.

4. I'm sorry dude. Thought I had it right.

5. 1idejim

1idejim LawnSite Fanatic

Shop vac, interesting idea.
    Posted via Mobile Device

6. mitchgo

mitchgo LawnSite Silver Member

Nice! If you don't have the time just come back another day?
    Hopefully more debris didn't get inside .

Today my route was all the follow-up stuck valve / Main line break jobs of the week. I had 7 jobs and replaced 8 valves with some massive main line flushing. Last night I got stuck working tell 8pm de-contaminating 15 valves from ml break near the back flow preventor... Funn

7. CAPT Stream Rotar

CAPT Stream Rotar LawnSite Fanatic

And i'm back at it again..

Mitch- this is one of those places where "promises" were made...I was @ it last night till 7:30..Great thought about the wire getting locked inside the upper chamber, thanks ill remember that. I know some sh!t was in that puppy.. but its firing up 10/10 times so far..I did run the snot off it and im sure there is some debris in the last head on the spray zone...

I'll take some pics today...This Job has been a PITA...Trucks and backhoe's have been driving over my mainline for weeks now...finally they broke it and jammed it with debris...It's my job to flush and get back to work....great overtime though.

8. 1idejim

1idejim LawnSite Fanatic

this was sweet ed, tree company was doing a clearance and a burly young buck around your age was the faller. there was a disagreement as to how the tree was to be fell, the boss gave into the young faller. the power co killed the power and cleared the line of fall while the faller climed the tree to place a rope. the faller climbed down to about 30 or so feet AGL. from this perch the youngster fell the top 70+ feet of the pine, placing it exactly where he had planned it. the tree broke to a horizontal plane from which it dropped, hitting the ground flat and hard. the ground shook as the tree landed and i was 200 feet from it. within a minute someone said we have water coming from under the tree. we shut the main down. i located the the trace wire and excavated the pipe for the plvmber to repair. the main was 4 ft deep and sand bedded. on top of all of this the neighbor whose property the tree landed said that his septic tank is directly under the tree. this poor kid has gone from champ to chump and it's looking like the cloud covering his decision is growing darker. i haven't figured how to post pics from the phone yet but the 3in main split at the bell and the weld was poorly prepped and was jvst waiting for an excuse to fail.
    Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited: May 26, 2012
  9. jvanvliet

jvanvliet LawnSite Gold Member

Isn't that something to prevent pregnancy?

10. Mike Leary

Mike Leary LawnSite Fanatic

I never got what ROTAR did to "repair" the valve, other than open it up. I'd have replaced the diaphragm just for yucks, as the bonnet was off.