1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Changed my web design approach entirely.

Discussion in 'Digital Marketing' started by mdvaden, May 22, 2007.

1. mdvaden

mdvaden LawnSite Bronze Member

If anyone read the other thread I posted, I pulled a search engine rank article, and substituted a newer article about inviting visitors to a site with non-search engine means.

Above and beyond that, I'm skipping designing my site for generating advertising income from display ads like Google Adsense. The ads will still be on pages, but I will not design my site based off the performance of those ads.

I was averaging $120 per month, but decided that that in itself is not reason enough as a factor for content. I'm sure I'll bring in more income - that's a fact. But whether is goes up or goes down is of no consequence now.

I'm going back to the original goal that I had for my site in the beginning. To design a decent website, that reflects who I am and what my service is - that simple.

A website that I can have fun with and enjoy.

It's partly due to internet and forums burn-out. But 98% due to just wanting to enjoy building a website. Not for search engines, not for other businesses, but specifically for the people I want it to help, which is my customers first, and anybody else second.

Actually, I will be on the forums much, much less. It occured to me that the more time I spent on forums, the less time I spent on building my website and reading books and articles. I've already been on forums 90% less in the past week.

Odds are, that I'll be focusing on just 2 forums. One garden forum in the Pacific NW, and the new treeworld.info - but minimal. Visits to other forums will become infrequent visits.

Sharing ideas on forums is great - no problem.

But I noticed that many guys and gals on here, have so much knowledge, that if they focused their time producing advice pages on their own websites specifically for their customer's and local community's use, that the face of landscaping on the internet would do a 180 if they started writing rather than merely "hanging out".
  2. Turf Troll

Turf Troll LawnSite Member

Hey M.D.,

I understand what your saying,

Good Luck,
    in all you do'
  3. Bill S

Bill S LawnSite Member

MD I hope you don't go away from here for too long. While I don't see eye to eye with you on search engine relevancy, I do respect your opinion and enjoy reading your thoughts.

Good luck.
  4. mdvaden

mdvaden LawnSite Bronze Member

I won't be totally invisible. But instead of visiting some forums several times per day, I'll probably visit more like once every few days, or once per week.

Part of it is that posting on forums seems so habitual sometimes.