Changed out some spray heads with small rotors, and now new rotors won't work...

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by cbwardrop, Jun 7, 2008.

1. cbwardrop

cbwardrop LawnSite Member

Hi all,

I'm new here and have a very ameteur question. Working on a pre-existing system that used all spray heads. Spray heads provide inadequate coverage (if at all), so I decided to try rotors.

Got some small Rain Bird rotors, screwed them in, and now ... nothing. The head pops up, water squirts for a second (as if clearing the line), but it does not operate.

What have I done wrong?

Thanks for any and all suggestions.

2. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

Did you put nozzles in them?

3. Flow Control

Flow Control LawnSite Bronze Member

need more info, such as number of sprays & nozzles used. Nozzles used in the 3504's. Pressure and flow rates if possible. Up hill, down hill, no hill. Valve type, booster pump, backflow, pipe size & material.

4. Waterit

Waterit LawnSite Silver Member

Check GPM and PSI on zone?

5. cbwardrop

In this particular zone, there are (or, were) 8 pop-up spray heads.

Thought I could reduce the entire zone to 2 rotors and 3 pop-up spray heads.

One of the rotors works fine. But the other location simply won't work.

Am I just missing the obvious -- are spray heads and rotors not simply interchangeable?

6. cbwardrop

They're pop-up rotors...they already have nozzles.

7. Mike Leary

Mike Leary LawnSite Fanatic

Welcome to the forum, the pros will figure this one out immediately.:dizzy::dizzy:

8. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

Time to go to school.

Each sprinkler nozzle (be it sprayhead, or rotor) spray out water at a different GPM. You want to match the amount of water so you will have even distribution across your yard.

A sprayhead pushes a lot more GPM a shorter distance than a rotor. By mixing them, you'll have an area that gets soaked by the sprayheads before the rotors even get their area even half way damp.

So, first order of business is to find out the nozzle types in your heads, and let us know. Then we can go from there.

Oh, and don't mix sprayheads and rotors. :nono:

9. hoskm01

hoskm01 LawnSite Fanatic

Should have boughtt rotors at a pro shop, not home depot. Only big box RB rotors come with nozzles installed.

10. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

I don't even wanna touch this one. Sorry pal. Get someone in that knows what they're doing. too many gpm being pushed out, guaranteed.