1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Changes for 2003

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by rodfather, Dec 23, 2002.

1. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

I was wondering how many of us have given a real thought as to what we want to do differently next year? Topics like:

1. New marketing approaches
    2. New equipment purchases
    3. New customer base
    4. New company policy and procedures
    5. Increase in business
    6. New areas to obtain business

My #1 issue is getting rid of the dead beats (slow payers). I am tired of chasing after money from the same people again and again. Gonna put the ole foot down this year. It's either "my way or the highway". Maybe i need to employ jimlewis's autopay?

Would like to hear some of your thoughts. And, Merry Christmas to all.
  2. AztlanLC

AztlanLC LawnSite Bronze Member

1.- Advertise only in landscape, I have plenty of lawns.
    2.- Get rid of the slow paying customers.
    3.- Become a S-corp (LLC at the moment)
    4.- Visit all the new houses that I've seeing around my area and give a business card.
    5.- pay all my loans.
    6.- buy couple of new mowers
    7.- Get qbexpress or clip
    8.- Paint all my trailers, and equipment (I do this every year)
    9.- Get a portable printer for my truck.
    10.- Write a better contract (maybe I'll hire a lawyer)
    11.- Hire 1 more employee maybe 2, promote 1

Number 1 would be to check every night this forum
  3. Lawn277

Lawn277 LawnSite Member
    from Iowa

I am considering taking Visa or Mastercard , seems everybody wants to pay that way. I have a couple customers that have a bill pay service that pays for them. I think in 2003 i will also hire a collection agency, then I wont have to worry about it

4. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

Every year I weed out the real slow paying customers. Also, if there are any lawns that I just "hate" to cut, I'll get rid of them too. Next year I plan on giving away most of my residential accounts. These are in the $20-$35 range and target higher paying commecial accounts.
  5. crazygator

crazygator LawnSite Bronze Member

For me in 2003:

1) Raise the customers that need to be raised (and bury the ones I cant...hahaha).
    2) As above, dump the dead beats, and try to zero in on them before getting stuck again and again.
    3) Follow this winter's business plan. Keeping on track as far as minimum per stop, per hour goals and all the other stuff I get written on there.
    4) Cost effective advertising. Especially target the area I need to be in, and try and raise the % of closed contracts.
    5) Start looking for an employee for the busy times (hoping there will be a busy time).
    6) Continue to learn and grow in knowledge. Being able to put into practice many things that will help with the business grow.
    7) Continue to surround myself with others who have the same goals, business practices, ethics and personal lives that I have, and giving back as much or more than I get from those relationship's. (This one is for my buddy HOSS.....Thanks dude)

And yes #8) BUY MORE EQUIPMENT! :D
  6. Well im out with the family so im gonna be starting completely over solo until i can get built up.Started to stay quit but i cant sit around doing nothing.And this biz is in my blood now.

So for me i'll be starting out from strach.I do know my market and i know the biz already so that puts me two steps ahead of the average startup.
  7. FrankenScagMachines

FrankenScagMachines LawnSite Platinum Member
    from IN

I plan on doing all that rodfather mentioned. I can't wait :blob4: will have alot of fun and learn alot. ;)
    Odin, thats great! I have to say that you're one of my favorite Lawnsite personalities! And awmarks. And alot of others. Too many to mention. Lets see I think I have been here since October of '00 or something like that. I have learned so much since then and been addicted to this site and feel like i know almost all of you (that post anyway). It's great! Anyhow, Yes I have big plans for '03 and I have ideas of what I'd like to do in years to come as well.
    Eric :)
  8. LakeSide Lawn and Landscape

LakeSide Lawn and Landscape LawnSite Senior Member

My plan for 2003?????GROW...GROW...GROW...:cool:
  9. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

I knew it, I knew it, I knew it.

I've been telling you for a few months you couldn't stay retired. :drinkup:
  10. bubble boy

bubble boy LawnSite Bronze Member

slower growth...no new mowers (21" excepted)

MAYBE hire another guy, but most of all this yr i'd like to knock down some debt. if i can do that might do a blitz in the fall to add another snow plow route.

but gonna be a little dull...we prefer things be in high gear, but don't wanna overcook...