Changing 3/16" Lauan to Plywood in Enclosed Trailer

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by Smithers, Jan 18, 2005.

1. Smithers

Smithers LawnSite Silver Member

I did a search, read 3 pages full of anything else, but what i needed. So, finally decided to post my question.

I purchased a trailer with 3/16" Lauan sides. It's very flimsy and actually stapled where the pieces overlap. It is screwed to the "joists" with nuts.

Has anyone changed their original sides to plywood in an enclosed trailer?

How difficult was it? I'm a not afraid to do the straight portions, but i have a curve in the front and i have no idea how i will bend the plywood.

What thickness plywood did you use? Also, right next to the drop gate, there is a small area which is also kinda curved. how do you overlap pieces that butt up to metal and plywood?

My current 3/16" Lauan looks really cheap and nasty. i have to use toggle bolts for ANYTHING that i want to hang, or it will break like a twig. any help would be appreciated, as always. thanks a lot!!!

2. wriken

wriken LawnSite Silver Member

Has anyone changed their original sides to plywood in an enclosed trailer?

I was thinking of doing it also, I'm going to rip it off, and insulate the walls. Probably could put 1/4 or 3/8" in.

3. Smithers

why insulate the walls? will it be heated? does your have a curve in the front? how will you bend the plywood?

4. PMLAWN

PMLAWN LawnSite Gold Member

Think about just going over the Lauan. Don't bother with taking the old out.

5. Smithers

will i be able to curve the plywood in the front? how should i attach it, with toggle bolts?

6. DrByrd

DrByrd LawnSite Member
    from Va.

I would go over existing walls with plywood 3/8 or thicker attaching with flat head wood screws and constuction adhesive, temp. is critical when using adhesive,but you won't get it off once it cures. Mark your wall studs prior to adding plywood (mark on ceiling & floor) snap a line on you new wall to use for any heavy equipment mounting such as trimmer racks. Use self-tapping metal screws for this and toggles if you can't hit metal studs. remember there is alot of bouncing going on with anything mounted on the walls. I have tried to lay out walls so as to use wall studs to mount to. hope this helps?? As far as rounded front I just built shelves free standing floor to ceiling there and screwed to side walls

Copy (2) of DSCF0027.JPG

7. PMLAWN

PMLAWN LawnSite Gold Member

DrByrd just saved me a lot of typing.

8. Smithers

drbyrd,

so you are saying to attach the new plywood to the steel studs directly with self taping screws (metal or wood), and put glue elsewhere, which will adhere to the lauan, right? that is a good idea.

the shelve idea is amazing, too. how do you secure the shelves on top? do you attach them to the new plywood? if yes, how do you attach them?

that is a really nice trailer. what size is it?

9. DrByrd

DrByrd LawnSite Member
    from Va.

Hey I would glue the new plywood to the old and use flat-head wood screws to draw the two pieces of plywood together so the glue can do its job. I would be more concerned with screwing into the wall studs using self-taping metal screws -a word of caution here take note of the right length so you don,t find screw heads sticking thru the outside of trailer ? Try to lay out your racks or whatever you decide to hang on the walls so as to screw into wall studs I don't know how well the toggle bolts will hold? Also easier to use hex-head self-tapping than phillips head. You may want to paint you floor, I used an epoxy paint and on the ramp door I added silica (sand) to the paint for a no slip finish. The shelfing in front I screwed 2x2 lumber across the front wall and attached the back of shelfing to that ( the shelf actually lays on top of 2x2) that way the back is attached and supported. The front frame is attached to either side of trailer. The size of my trailer is 8x20. I will try and get a picture of my shelving posted.Well that should pretty much #!*? confuse you. Sorry if I rambled.

10. DrByrd

DrByrd LawnSite Member
    from Va.

If you want look at my thread on 12/27 Pixs of my equipment it has some better pixs of shelfing, picture worth a thousand words . lol