1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Changing Anti-freeze

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by Grass Man, Apr 9, 2005.

1. Grass Man

Grass Man LawnSite Senior Member

.... Does anyone know why manufacturers want you to change your anti-freeze once a year, especially in the newer, smaller tractors? I personally have had equipment that I have NEVER changed the anti-freeze in, for example: I have one tractor, which is about fourteen years old, never had the anti-freeze changed. The anti-freeze is just as green as it was the day it was put in. It's been through some pretty hard winters, one down to -31 degrees. I never had a problem with freeze plugs in the engine block or anything like that. I have added very little fluid over the years but nothing major. On occasion, I would snug, slightly tighten, a hose clamp that was showing some sign of very slight seepage. And I have another tractor with almost the same story. Though I did have a radiator valve leak with that one because of vibration and pressure due to neglect caused because of the previous owner. I strained the anti-freeze and replaced it after fixing the leak. And the same thing with cars. How many people buy and drive a car for; 5,6, 8 years and never give a thought to anti-freeze. They may once in a while check it or have it checked to make sure they have enough for their climate temperature in their part of the country.

.... Does any one have a good answer to this :confused:?
  2. Grassmechanic

Grassmechanic LawnSite Silver Member

You must be living life right. Antifreeze should be changed according to manufacturer's maintenance schedule. Antifreeze contains anti-rust agents, along with water pump lubricants that break down with heat and age.
  3. cndhaines

cndhaines LawnSite Member

anti freeze breaks down and will actually start to eat your engine up from the alkali levels in it it will start to actually start to produce a voltage like a alkaline battery and corode so yes change it once a year or per mfg suggestion

4. dh500

dh500 LawnSite Member

If you are changing your anti-freeze (or just topping up or fixing leaks) PLEASE be sure your dogs cannot get any access to the stuff. They like the taste but it is very toxic so be sure to mop up any spills.
  5. xcopterdoc

xcopterdoc LawnSite Senior Member

Alot of it has to do with the aluminum engines. Electrolosis (sp?) is a big killer. They dont hold much, so its really not gonna kill ya to change it out every year.