Changing bearings on a Quick 36

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by lawnsaspire, Feb 10, 2012.

1. lawnsaspire

lawnsaspire LawnSite Bronze Member

So my Quick 36 has been making a grinding noise when I engage the blades. I took the blades out and the spindles out their housing and the balls from the bearings immediately fell out and their were little metal chips that fell out. I only checked the two outside blades. I've never changed bearings like this on a mower. Do I just change the bearings around the spindle itself as I see nothing wrong with the spindle shaft, or do I also change the housing. I'm not really sure where the chips and shavings are coming from as there's grease everywhere, but it's obvious that's whats making the grinding noise. Thanks for your help.

2. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

Just change the bearings if you can find a number on them. How many hours are on your mower (est).

3. lawnsaspire

about 500 hours, I just wasn't sure if it was the metal chips making the noise or the balls from the bearings being loose in there, either way I know i'll have to change the bearings, I just didn't know if I needed to change the housing also.

4. Richard Martin

The housing should be fine. After you disassemble the spindle wipe all of the old grease out. Then you can get a chance to look at the housing and make sure it's okay. It should be unless you've been striking a lot of hard objects. Do you grease those spindles or are they greaseless?

5. Exact Rototilling

Exact Rototilling LawnSite Fanatic

Bearings are easily replaced with ones from a bearing house but they usally have the inner seal in place. That will need to be pryed out.

I will get you numbers when I get a chance to go to my parts stash.

Did you regualiry grease them? I typically only give them a half pump of grease each time I have the cover off.

6. lawnsaspire

yes I regularly greased them. I don't know what I hit. Do the bearings come with the balls sealed in them or do you have to be careful when installing not to drop the balls everywhere. I'm really get tired of saying balls so much.

7. Exact Rototilling

Exact Rototilling LawnSite Fanatic

Could be a number things even too much hydraulic pressure when greasing. You don't have to be concerned with bearing falling out of place. The race cage hold.them.there. Only if you remove an inner seal will.you be able.to see them.
    Posted via Mobile Device

8. FLC2000

FLC2000 LawnSite Bronze Member

500 hours?

I have mowers with 3 times that much that have not needed bearings or spindles.

I dont know what kind of warranty they offer but Id check into it. You also might want to think about upgrading to something a little more solid and sturdy.

9. Richard Martin

The only reason I asked about striking hard objects has to do with the condition of the housings. If you hit a lot of stuff the housings may have been cracked. Otherwise just give a wipe and a quick check.

10. lawnsaspire

Well I looked at the bOP website and they're being sold to another larger company. what's going on with that? I tried to call and only got peoples voice messages. Is there another place I can order the same bearings?