Changing Blade At Job Site

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by SERRICO, Jul 6, 2004.

1. SERRICO

SERRICO LawnSite Member
    from TX

How do u guys change walkbehind or ztr's blades at job site or at your shop(garage)?
    My dealer said they use impact wrench to tighten the bolts. So almost impossible to untighten the bolt with regular wrench.
    I know home depot sells 12v and 14v wireless impact drivers with about 1100 in. ft. Will this work to tighten and loosen the bolt?
    Or can I just buy socket and extended ratchet to work?
    Need some input.

2. BillyRgn

BillyRgn LawnSite Member

i use 2 breaker bars with sockets on my 48 exmark metro i usually wedge one underneath and turn the one on top and it usually take a little effort because the way there set up when the blades are engaged the bolts are really getting tighter

3. Expert Lawns

Expert Lawns LawnSite Silver Member

You shouldnt' have to tighten them with an impact wrench. The shop only does it for insurance/liability reasons. All you need to do is hand tighten them, they will tighten the rest of the way on their own as long as it is done correctly.

When I'm at the jobsite, I just pull my Z up onto the left side of my trailer ramp allowing the left side of the deck to hang over a bit. You can change the right blade throught the discharge chute, and change the other 2 (or 3) by laying under the ramp and deck. Just take common sense safety precausions...... E brake is on, mower isn't SO far over the edge that it will tip etc.

4. TWLfire911

TWLfire911 LawnSite Member

i just bought the DeWalt 18 volt 1/2" cordless impact wrench last week so saf it works great changed blades on 3 machines, one truck tire, and took some tires off a old boat trailer that was out of reach or a compressor driven impact and it is working great. also purchased the 18 volt cordless DeWalt grinder i am pretty happy but it only sharpened 5 1/2 blades before the battery died only have used it once so far so we will see.

5. TClawn

TClawn LawnSite Silver Member

TAKE THE SPARK PLUG OUT!!!

6. Roger

Roger LawnSite Fanatic

I change blades in the field often. My w/b is a 36" Exmark Viking, two spindles. I carry on the trailer a 24" long 2X4 cut with a notch about 15" from one end (the "bottom"). The bottom of the board is cut at an angle, maybe 5 degrees. I lift up the deck, catch the notch of the 2X4 under the front lip of the deck.

My mower uses through-bolts. I use a 15/16" socket on a breaker bar on the bottom, and a 15/16" box end wrench on the top. A blade change can't take more than 3-4 minutes. I've never used an impact wrench, and I've never had one bolt come loose in 8 years. I change blades every day, or every other day, so they have been on/off hundreds of times.

7. CuttingCrew

CuttingCrew LawnSite Member

We pull off the side of the ramp as well. Works great. That way we can leave the Jungle Jack in the garage. :)

8. brucec32

brucec32 LawnSite Platinum Member

I know they always say to unhook the plug before working under the deck, but has anyone actually ever had an engine spontaneously start and blades engage while working under a mower deck?

9. DennisF

DennisF LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Florida

Use the trailer ramp to get under the deck. An impact wrench is not necessary. A block of wood to jam against the blade will hold the spindle while you loosen the bolt with a breaker bar and socket. I can change the blades on my ZTR in about 5 minutes using this method.

10. CamLand

CamLand LawnSite Bronze Member

thats the same way we do it,we have certain cutsomers that demand fresh blades on the lawns,so we change them in the feild 2-3 weekly...