Changing Blades - Air Compressor

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Mad_Russian776, Aug 29, 2006.

1. Mad_Russian776

Mad_Russian776 LawnSite Member

Ok...I have a dumb question.

I bought a 2hp air compressor to use with an impact wrench to remove the blades from my mower. However, when i go to remove the blades the impact wrench doesn't budge the bolt.

This is the first time i've used an air compressor outside of airing the tires on my car, so i'm likely doing something or not doing something to cause this lack of pressure. Any ideas on why my impact wrench is not able to remove my blades?
  2. PTP

PTP LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Tulsa

You either have a wimpy impact gun or not enough air pressure. 100 psi ought to be about right for the compressor. If the compressor is reaching 100, then order up a new IR gun. Mine has seen several years of full time heavy use and still hits hard.
  3. Rickco

Rickco LawnSite Member

Your problem is most likely air volume not preasure. Howmany gallons is your tank? Impact guns use lots of air.
  4. jpp

jpp LawnSite Silver Member

Is the impact on tighten postion or is it in the loosen postion?
  5. mowerdave

mowerdave LawnSite Member

I use impact wrench. Big time saver for removing and putting on blades. Keep my air compressor at 110 psi.
  6. TNT Lawncare

TNT Lawncare LawnSite Senior Member

Probably need a better impact gun. A $30 cheapo won't do it. I paid $175 for mine. Although it is a Crapsman, it does have a 2 year warranty and 700 lbs of torque.
  7. pugs

pugs LawnSite Gold Member

What impact do you have? What size hose is running from the impact to the compressor? What do you have the regulator set at?
  8. WildLake

WildLake LawnSite Senior Member

I think most impacts recommend 90psi. Atleast all of mine have.
  9. B&K LawnCare

B&K LawnCare LawnSite Member

I had the same problem, it was volume. I bought another tank and hooked that to my air compressor and then the impact to the tank for more volume and now it works great.
  10. 1grnlwn

1grnlwn LawnSite Bronze Member

Did you put them on with the Impact? It is easy to get them on too tight with an impact. Try 70 psi for installing and 100 psi for removing. Put a wrench on the back side of the bolt and rest it against the steel part of the deck. Then hit the other side with the impact to remove. This gives the hammer something to hammer against.