changing blades on 52" Toro

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by C&S Services, May 25, 2004.

1. C&S Services

C&S Services LawnSite Member

I need to know what is the best way to chage the blades out on my mower? I was thinking of two ways, one way is to ramp it up like a car and work under it (not my favorite way to do things). The second was to pick up the nose and expose the underside of the deck and loosen the bolts from there. If I pick up the nose will the is it safe to let the weight sit on the handles? The mower is a 2003 52" gear drive Toro w/ T=bar controls. Any help would be great. Thanks
  2. jajwrigh

jajwrigh LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from Martinsville, IN

Can't you jack up the front end and support it on jack stands? If so then use an impact and remove the blades that way. When putting sharp blades back on observe the manufacturers torque specs on the blade bolts.
  3. Green Pastures

Green Pastures LawnSite Silver Member

Buy the Toro Z-Stand!
  4. C&S Services

would the Z-stand work with the SFS deck? I don't think it has a cross bar like it shows on the toro site. Any other ideas or suggestions?
  5. dlandscaping

dlandscaping LawnSite Senior Member
    from mass

Just get a bunch of 1x10 boards and stack them up, push down on the handles and stick them under the deck. This worked for me on the same setup. I had the boards left over from building the sides on the trailer.
  6. C&S Services

dlandscaping, did the rear wheeels roll at all when you did this? I was thinking of a similar idea. How many 1x10's did you have to stack up to get under the deck?
  7. kc2006

kc2006 LawnSite Silver Member

I always use a jack stand and a chalk for the tire.
  8. prizeprop

prizeprop LawnSite Senior Member

Is this mower any different than any other walk behind, I dont know, but with our bobcat belt drive, we leave it in gear with the handles open and simply pickup the deck and put a gas can under it to hold it up. When I bought our 52" bobcat rider I went out and bought a floor jack, tried ramps the whole bit. None was easy and didnt work well carrying that stuff with us to change blades in the field, now we just ride one front wheel up the ramp on the trailer so half the deck is accessible and up in the air. You can reach the middle blade and the outer blade this way, then move the machine to the other side of the ramp to get the last outer blade. works great with makita cordless impact wrench( about $200 - $300)
  9. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

I use a floor jack and then put a jack stand under it for safety, jack uo the front of the mower by the deck
  10. Green Pastures

Green Pastures LawnSite Silver Member

The Z-Stand that's on my 52" SFS Deck Z-Master works just fine.