1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

changing blades on toro z

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by rosolar, Jun 27, 2005.

1. rosolar

rosolar LawnSite Member
    from Mass

I have never had problems changing blades on my great dane or scag but I attempted to change the blades on my toro z for the first time and couldn't do it. Do you get the blade off by loosening the bolt from under the blade? I undid the bolt on the top of the deck where the spindles are, but that still did not allow me to switch blades. any suggestions?
  2. kpyoung

kpyoung LawnSite Member

Yes, remove the bolts from under the blades.

From the factory, the bolts are TIGHT!! The first time I removed my blades I wedged a short piece of 2x4 between the deck and the blades and them put a piece of pipe over the handle of my socket wrench for additional leverage. It was tough but after that initial blade change all was fine.
  3. jtrice11

jtrice11 LawnSite Senior Member

I had the same experience, they are on the factory extremely tight. Had to use a 2x4 to wedge the blade and pry them loose.
  4. rosolar

rosolar LawnSite Member
    from Mass

thanks, I just downlaoded the owners manuel. I bought the mower used so hopefully they won't be to hard to loosen. Where do you guys order your blades? I just spent close to $60 to get a set from the toro dealer.
  5. daveintoledo

daveintoledo LawnSite Silver Member

an impact wrench is a big help,,,,
  6. MMLawn

MMLawn LawnSite Gold Member

Invest in an impact wrench and compressor...best money you'll ever spend outside of the Z itself.
  7. Green Pastures

Green Pastures LawnSite Silver Member

I could not agree more.

TURF DOCTOR LawnSite Silver Member

We sharpen blades daily invest in a impact,you won't miss your money.
  9. jtrice11

jtrice11 LawnSite Senior Member

I get mine from the dealer I bought it from. They are 42 bucks a set.