Changing Blades: Question?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by MOturkey, Nov 14, 2005.

1. MOturkey

MOturkey LawnSite Silver Member

I read a thread about blade sharpness the other day, and someone suggested using a portable impact wrench. I was considering buying an air impact but the portable electric sounds like the better way to go for me, because I could not only use it in the shop, but in the field as well, and I really have no other use for an impact wrench.

Now, for the dumb part of this question. When you loosen the blade bolts with an impact wrench, or re-tighten, for that matter, is it necessary to block the blade with something, as I do with a 2X4 when I remove them with my 1/2 inch breakover, or does the rapid "impact" break them loose without doing so? Just curious. Thanks.
  2. Harleyboy52

Harleyboy52 LawnSite Member

I use a air impact wrench and the blades don't move coming off or going on.
  3. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

I use an electric impact wrench and love it. One of the best investments that I ever made.

Why would you want to change blades out in the field though?
  4. Bulletproof

Bulletproof LawnSite Member

We always wear leather gloves while doing this and always try to block it with a 2X4 or any available object, just in case... Our hands are very important to us and anything can happen.
  5. LLandscaping

LLandscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

We use an air powered impact to remove our blades. The reason we have an air powered is because we use the compressor to clean air filters, and power our grease gun. I would like to have a battery impact to keep in the truck. You do not need to block the blade with a 2x4 because the impact will not spin the blade because it applies downward pressure.

TURF DOCTOR LawnSite Silver Member

We run them in our shop daily man i love these we went with snap on costly at the time no1 offered any now i see advance auto has the 18 volt for 99 bucks.
  7. grassyfras

grassyfras LawnSite Bronze Member

How much do the portable ones cost about?
  8. LLandscaping

LLandscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

The reason I want to have a battery powered impact in the truck is because sometimes we hit rocks with our blades and they need changing and if we get a flat tire on the truck or trailer.
  9. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

Alot, Home Cheapo has them at 320 on their website ;) ;) ;)
  10. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

I think that I paid around $350 for my electric and a set of sockets