Changing blades?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Lowe Mowing, Apr 12, 2005.

1. Lowe Mowing

Lowe Mowing LawnSite Member

I was wondering how often you guys change your blades. I have about 50 residential accounts and change the blades every week. I was just wondering how often other people changed theres?

2. Bryan Wilson

Bryan Wilson LawnSite Member

daily, sometimes every 2 days. Been a very wet spring here and there is moss everywhere. Moss is murder on blades.

3. HOMER

HOMER LawnSite Gold Member

I usually change mine every 4-5 hours on the hour meter. Saves gas, time, looks better. If I cut 50 yards down here before changing then I'd be forever trying to get an edge back on the blades.

4. Likestomow

Likestomow LawnSite Senior Member

Look at the outside tip of each blade. When it starts to get rounded, take it off and sharpen it.

Try sharpening only the first 1.5" of the blade, not the whole length. Thats what I've been doing for years and have had great results: less time sharpening, less stone wear and a nice smooth cut on the turf.

5. YardPro

YardPro LawnSite Gold Member

2 times per week. sometimes 3

we put on sharp ones monday and wed.

6. Equipguy

Equipguy LawnSite Senior Member

Every day.

7. BCSteel

BCSteel LawnSite Senior Member

Same here.

8. BALDEAGLE

BALDEAGLE LawnSite Member

with that weekly theory of yours, yer gonna have some tough looking lawns when it gets hot

9. GrassBustersLawn

GrassBustersLawn LawnSite Senior Member

DAILY.

Buy several sets for each mower. We change them every night as soon as we get back to the shop. THat way we are ready to go as soon as we hit the shop in the morning. We save up all the dull blades & sharpen them all at one time.

Mike

10. Diamond Cut Landscaping

Diamond Cut Landscaping LawnSite Member
    from NY

How often would you suggest for cutting 20-25 lawns per week? Changing blades every few days seems like a hassle. Anyone have any tricks/problems/suggestions for changing blades on a Exmark 60" ?