1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Changing blades

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by PLS-Tx, Apr 11, 2006.

1. PLS-Tx

PLS-Tx LawnSite Silver Member
    from Texas

2. LLandscaping

LLandscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

I use a air powered impact. That battery powered impact from Harbor Freight would work but I dont like off brand tools. If you want a battery powered one check out Dewalt, Makita, etc.
  3. jtkplc

jtkplc LawnSite Silver Member

I use air-impact.
  4. burns60

burns60 LawnSite Senior Member

Electric impact. The reason being I want it to always work, and I always change the blades at home, so I don't need the mobility of the cordless.
  5. JTF40

JTF40 LawnSite Senior Member

Ingersoll-Rand 1/2" air impact. :usflag:
  6. ed2150

ed2150 LawnSite Member

I use a DeWalt 18v. cordless impact; it works well. Allows for installing spare blades out on the road.
  7. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

For a year I did it by hand... One wrench on top, another on the bottom. It is somewhat dangerous, you have to be careful but so long you don't over-tighten, it's not bad - A breaker bar may be required.

Today I use Air impact by Chicago Pneumatic (NOT the same as Chicago Electric).

However, I use an angle grinder from Harbor Freight that's made by Chicago Electric and thus far am very pleased with this affordable tool. I dare say the cordless should work, but you're taking a small chance (try it once, if it doesn't work just box it all back up real neat and go get your money back - tell them it doesn't have enough power but make sure you keep it clean and scratch-free while trying it out). If it were me and I didn't have the money for an air compressor, I'd be inclined to give it a shot, there's at least a fair chance it would work.
  8. CutInEdge Lawn Care

CutInEdge Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

Air Impact and Jungle Jack
  9. CuttinUP

CuttinUP LawnSite Senior Member

Matco 1/2" composite body impact gun. Thinking about getting a cordless to be able to change blades out for fresh sharp set in the Field.
  10. LawnScapers of Dayton

LawnScapers of Dayton LawnSite Silver Member
    Male, from Dayton, OH

I use electric at home. I also have IR air driven but I seldom use it due to having to fire up the compressor and wait. I want a Dewalt cordless but I don't want to pay the price.....

I have had 2 HF grinders ....worked OK but didn't last.....