1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Changing Blades

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Paul Andrews, Aug 11, 2001.

1. Paul Andrews

Paul Andrews LawnSite Member

It seems like that when you guys talk about changing your blades in the field you act like it only takes minutes to do. If I was to crawl under my mowers when I thought they might be dull, it would take at least an half hour or more to change them and get sharp ones on.

How many sets of blades does everybody carry on their rig ?

Do you change them once a day or every week?

Please give me your input on this issue , it's greatly appreciated.
  2. skipwatson

skipwatson LawnSite Member

Change once a day, and it takes 5-7 minutes.
  3. Lee Homan

Lee Homan LawnSite Member

I was just thinking that same thing. Why can't a mfgr. come up with a better, quicker way to change blades. Maybe some kind of quick disconnect system.
  4. Guido

Guido LawnSite Silver Member

May I ask how you change your blades because a half an hour seems like a loooooong time for me.

I would keep a few extra sets of blades so you can sharpen them at your conveninece then you'll always have a sharp set ready to go on.

How often to change them depends if you do 60 lawns a day or 60 lawns a week.

Just a quick answer, but if you do a search on this subject theres a lot more info on here.

Hope this helps!
  5. jnjnlc

jnjnlc LawnSite Member

30 minutes does seem like a long time. I can take mine off, sharpen them and put them back on in about 20 minues. If I have a set of shape ones I can change them in about 10 minutes. That is with doubles.
  6. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

just a thought. try running the front castors up on one side of your ramp,so you can get to the blades . you might need to chalk a wb. to make it even easier order the little impact wrench that runs off a cigerette lighter.getum on ebay from 15 to 50 dollars.
    takes all the work and most of the time out of it.
    hope this helps later nowTM
  7. captdevo

captdevo LawnSite Senior Member

i run Walkers, it takes only a few minutes to change blades with the flip-up decks.

Definately get yourself a 12v impact and a torque wrench.

i keep 10 sets of blades with cups and shear pins installed on hand. This way i can sharpen on weekends, evenings or rainy days.

Sharp blades are a cheap investment for quality cuts!!

I also change blades daily.
  8. Mark

Mark LawnSite Senior Member

I change blades every morning, I jack my deck up on the trailor it takes maby 10 to 15 min. I know this is off subject but if eric reads this post hey eric i just purchased a BG218 Pro Grinder,Diamond tip dresser,Mulch Plate,and Grit Collector......640 big ones. Hope it works out well im so used to the angel grinders. Marks Mowing Service
  9. Guido

Guido LawnSite Silver Member

Copngrats on your new purchase! :)

Your like me, I say if I'm going to do it, I'm going to fo it right! You went for the whole deal, huh?

I'm sure you'll love it. Let us know how it works out for you when you get it.
  10. Grapevine

Grapevine LawnSite Member

We have 3 Walkers with the decks that go 90 degrees, takes about 3-5 minutes max to change blades which we do every day. Always keep a sharp set for each mower on the trailer in case you whack one and it needs replacing. We mow
    20-25 lawns a day minimum which roughly equals Joe homeowner mowing his lawn the whole season. He'll probably have the mower shop sharpen them once when he gets it tuned up. I actually bought a RGB grinder years ago but still use the old 10" bench grinder when sharpening the blades.