Changing Blades

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by bigchap, Sep 3, 2003.

1. bigchap

bigchap LawnSite Member

Hi,
    I purchased a new set of high lift blades for my 48" Scag SW Walk behind. What I need to do now is get the original blades off. The service department is really bad wear i purchased this mower and this is my first attempt to change the blades. I am using two sockets and a 2x4 to hold the blade but its not working out. The dealer said the threads are regular. Thanks , Chris

2. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

Can you go to a garage and have them take them off with a impact gun? If so then you can put them on yourself.
    John

3. Tvov

Tvov LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

Ditto on the impact gun. May have to pay someone take them off the first time, but tell them that you want to put them back on, make sure they don't use the impact gun to put the new blades back on.

4. bigchap

bigchap LawnSite Member

Ok I have a garage that can do that down the street. Will I be able to do the change the blades after the initial one with regular tools?

5. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

Yes If You put them on by hand. Are you using the top and bottom bolt?

6. SCAPEASAURUSREX

SCAPEASAURUSREX LawnSite Senior Member

I would reccomend getting yourself a pair of breaker bars from sears or something and two 15/16"s sockets one regular and the other deep, but both impact type sockets... To change after they are broken loose...... Sometimes the bolts will tighten themselves from the rotation of the blades themselves while engaged ..... You may need to invest in a small compressor and impact gun or one of those cordless or electric impact guns to do this yourself in the future

7. NCSERVICE

NCSERVICE LawnSite Member

dont get them to tight, make sure your taking the nut off the bolt, not the bolt out of the nut, get a breaker bar and a cheater pipe... and suck it up

8. locutus

locutus LawnSite Bronze Member
    from NC

ditto breaker bar is the only way to go. i also use a piece of wood to hold my blades while removing the blade bolts. before i was using the two by four i bought a blade breaker which is supposed to hold the blades whileyou remove the bolt. wrong! turned it into a crumpled piece of crap post haste.

9. pzorrill

pzorrill LawnSite Member
    from miami

I've just gone with the garage idea before with no problems. If anythging just slip the mechanic a $5. and you're home free

10. xpnd

xpnd LawnSite Senior Member

Maybe purchasing a small air compressor and an impact wrench might be the better answer. Once you have air, even a small system, your life will change dramatically when it comes to repairs. One more thing, anti sieze compound on the threads makes subsequent removal a whole lote easier.