Changing Blades

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by zrider441, Nov 14, 2003.

1. zrider441

zrider441 LawnSite Member

I have been using a battery powered impact wrench to change my blade and the rated torque is 130# which is close to the value that Toro recommends on their walkbehind mower.

I was reading the manual on my new Scag Turf Tiger and they only recommend tightening to 75#. I am wondering why there is such a spread between the 2 manufacturers.

What do most of you use to take off and tighten the bolts on your mowers and do you follow the torque value listed in the mower manual??

2. pjslawncare/landscap

pjslawncare/landscap LawnSite Bronze Member

Naa, I just get them tite with pnumatic impact wrench. Never had a problem

3. Albemarle Lawn

Albemarle Lawn LawnSite Bronze Member

Full-charge factory rating is 240 lb./ft.

I just hammer on the bolt for 2-3 secs. after it sets. Gravely 260Z with 7/16" thread spindle shoulder bolts.

The difference between you two makes has to do with bolt thickness as well as the metallurgy the bolt is made of and the metallurgy of the spindle.

In the long run, you're always best to stick as close to spec as possible in terms of avoiding metal fatigue/ stripped/sheared bolts, etc.

KB

4. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

Fine thread/Coarse thread.

5. grassdaddy

grassdaddy LawnSite Senior Member

When I first got my turftiger,it was used,it took me and my son both 220lbs with 4ft cheater pipes to break them loose.An old 1/2 impact couldn't budge em.-Now I don't have any problem.I don't know what the guy before me used,but I hate him..

6. Rustic Goat

Rustic Goat LawnSite Bronze Member

Don't know about the Toro, but on the Scag it isn't neccessary to get them mega tight, the direction of the spindle/bolt vs nut while in operation is the same as the tightening action when putting the nut on. Kinda hard for it to loosen any.