changing blades

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by charlies, Apr 18, 2004.

1. charlies

charlies LawnSite Senior Member
    from earth

i was changing the blades today.

first blade, wrench slipped off, busted 2 knuckles good.

third blade: wrench slipped off while tightening, top of index finger hit blade edge, sliced into it good, no stitches, but a spectacular amount of blood. and i am the one always telling the guys to wear gloves when they change the blades!

both times, i left my hands under the deck for a few seconds thinking, 'oh that's probably going to be bad', before i actually looked at it.

the slicing incident, i finished tightening the blade before i took my hand out to look. i could feel the blood getting all over my hand and the blade.

sweet. now: gloves for the rest of the season, i swear.

2. Woody82986

Woody82986 LawnSite Silver Member
    from DFW, TX

Did the same thing last year. Only I sliced two fingers clean open. I didn't want to look at it either...

3. Florida 5 Star

Florida 5 Star LawnSite Member
    from Florida

Try an impact wrench real easy and no cut up fingers

4. charlies

charlies LawnSite Senior Member
    from earth

we do have a compressor and air tools in our shop, but i just wanted to change the blades, i didn't feel like turning on the compressor, getting out the gun, the socket, waiting for the pressure to build to appropriate level, then having to drain the tank when i was done. i was lazy.

5. topcat

topcat LawnSite Member
    from Bflo

Get one of those cheap 12volt impact wrenches from like Walmart. Works great and comes in handy when out mowing.

6. cantoo

cantoo LawnSite Silver Member

I don't wear gloves when I change blades. I always use a piece of wood 2x4 to wedge the blades and never have a problem. Safe and cheap.